Rebooting PC

daz246 19:31 19 Apr 03

My dad is having some trouble with his PC. I'll try and explain everything. Recently the PC would reboot every now and again once the desktop had loaded. Now as soon as you log in after the choosing user it reboots, therefore you cant get into the desktop.

We found a STOP error: 0x0000008E(0xC0000005, 0x8059231E, 0xF16F79A0, 0x00000000)

And then on the Computer management application viewer page we get the following messages.

Event System - Error Com+ Event system bad return code
VSS - Error CoCreateInstance hr=0x80040206
Userenv - Warning, something is using registry whilst shuting down.

Also there have been a few "you must activate windows" messages. My dad has used XP for over a year. He has recently installed Roxio 6 and upgraded his RAM with another 512MB. Would this mean we need to reactivate XP????? Also can't unistall Roxio as we cant get into desktop, and cant uninsatll in Safe Mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

Felix 9115 20:50 19 Apr 03

Daz - It's unlikely that XP would need a reactivation after a RAM upgrade, everything I've read says no.

powerless 20:54 19 Apr 03

Can you get into safe mode?

Do a system restore from there.

Also try > Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

SFC /SCANNOW

Click ok and have the XP CD in the drive when you do this.

Also try this new stick of RAM on it's own take the other one out. Just to see if there is any memory problem.

daz246 15:23 20 Apr 03

Can get into safe mode but the system wont allow a system restore. It allows us only to find restore points in April this year. We've tried to restore but it comes up saying that the restore has failed.

hugh-265156 16:03 20 Apr 03

there are many problems with earlier versions of easy cd creator and xp not sure about version 6 but you can get patch from click here might help.

hugh-265156 16:18 20 Apr 03

sorry ment to say that i think reactivation is only nesessary if more than 3-4 hardware components have changed.since buying my pc ive upgraded the ram graphics card and bios just reinstalled xp a few weeks back and had no problems.

woodchip 16:18 20 Apr 03

Only thing I can think of is if it's a full XP disc start with CD in comp and restore, Repair, or Reinstall over it's self

powerless 16:22 20 Apr 03

You may also like to try "Last Known good configuration".

When you start your computer keep tapping the F8 key and choose "Last Known good configuration" from the menu you are presented with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…