Reboot and select proper boot device

kurd70 17:58 26 Jan 08

Hi
Had major problems with pc for ages and got back pc today from repair shop
Got new motherboard put in and maybe processor?
Was working grand for about 2 hours, was testing everything to see it was fine
Everytime i turned it off it would install new XP updates
After restarting fine about four times
i then Tried to play some audio but would not play any songs, file would not play some error message would appear
Releasied speakers were not plugged in so rechecked all connections and plugged in speaker
Turned off and then on
Now I have the problem that when I turn on pc it will not boot up properly. I get as far as a black screen with the option to enter f2 to run set up or f11 for boot menu, if i dont press anything another screen saying reboot and select proper boot device
insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Have tried to get into safe mode but same options occur
the odd time on restart i get to enter windows normally or using previous setting that worked but end up in black scree with f2 and f11

Have also tried turning on computer with speaker not plugged in but same error occurs

Will be taing back down to repair shop on monday if i cant figure out whats wrong

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 26 Jan 08

make sure there s NO disks in drive or USB devices plugged in while trying to boot. if none of above then:-

1. open cover and check all cables to hard drives and at motherboard end are plugged in fully.

2. enter f2 to run set up and check the boot device order is set as CD first hard drive second.

kurd70 22:01 26 Jan 08

Hi
Thanks for the reply
The pc is starting up fine now

I do however still have a problem with my sound

The speaker are working but no sound is coming out
When I try to play music i get the following message
Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.
click here
The when i go to windows update i get the following
[Error number: 0x8024001E]
The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

I have followed the step above but when i try to start automatic updates on local services i get the following
'could not start the automatic updates service on local computer
error 0x80070017 : data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I can not also hear any online videos/music etc

any ideas on how to get sound back?

kurd70 22:06 26 Jan 08

I have done the following

If you are running Windows XP, click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Manage.

#

In the pane on the left, click Device Manager.
#

In the pane on the right, expand Sound, video and game controllers, and then look for the name of your sound device.

My sound devices are working properly it says
I have the following
audio codecs
legacy audio drivers
legacy video capture devices
media control devices
video codecs

Burpie 22:52 26 Jan 08

Let's try to sort out the Windows Update problem first.

Here's a possible solution to it click here

Follow the advice in the post and let us know how you go.

kurd70 09:54 27 Jan 08

Hi
I have followed the instruction in the link but the same error still occurs when I try to start automatic updates, after deleting contents of datastore folder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…