reboot problem

itw2 22:03 14 Oct 03

My PC has developed an intermittant fault. It keeps rebooting for no apparent reason. It runs for varying lengths of time. Any ideas as to what to check first?

VoG II 22:31 14 Oct 03

Assuming that you are running XP then right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under "Startup & Recovery" click Settings. Under "System Failure" untick the box in front of "Automatically restart".

The next time this happens you should see an error message. Please tell us exactly what it says.

itw2 22:44 14 Oct 03

Sorry forgot to say. I'm running Win 98.

VoG II 22:48 14 Oct 03

Has it always done this? If not, what have you changed - hardware or software?

What processor and is it getting to hot? click here

woodchip 22:55 14 Oct 03

Put your Win98 disc in comp and run SFC from Start/Run

itw2 22:58 14 Oct 03

No I haven't touched anything! It was working alright but then I moved to a new address. The processor is a pentium 3 550. It doesn't appear to be getting hot.

itw2 23:00 14 Oct 03

Sorry woodchip. Please explain how to run SFC.

VoG II 23:01 14 Oct 03

As wodchip says: Start, Run

SFC/ SCANNOW

(note the space after /) and OK, and have your Windows CD to hand (or bung it in first).

woodchip 23:11 14 Oct 03

In 98 go to start Run Box type in the box SFC press enter and run to look for corrupt files, do not forget the win98 disc

itw2 08:01 16 Oct 03

Apologies to those who replied. Once I got inside the machine I remembered what I had last done which was to use the power supply to test another 'dead' machine I had. So I immediately checked all connections and found the ATX connector was not fully home! Problem solved!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…