Reboot disk fault 25% into operation. help!!!!

Hi,
I wanted to reset my pc back to factory settings using my rebooting disc.
All was working ok until 25% into rebooting it back when i got a message saying something like 'ghostterr' couldnt read text or something like that and it rebooted to the start.
because it was already well into clearing my disc,when i started it up normally,all i got was a blank screen.
is there anything i can do?if i buy a hard drive,does it come already loaded with an operating system? or do i have to buy that seperately?
sorry for the questions only i have no idea what to do!
it is a desktop pc made by emachines..runs on xp home, with a 40gb HD and 512 ram if this helps.
thanks in advance
andy

FreeCell 17:59 29 Sep 07

The backup was created to use Symantec (Norton) Ghost and it is that that is giving the error as it misreads some of your CD. Check the CD for any scratches or marks and make sure it is clean and retry.

Look up your emachine model in click here

May have information on how to obtain another revovery disk if yours is not usable.

Had this problem with my Advent from PCW,2.75 years into the extended warrenty.Had a few months left,they diagnosed faulty discs(only used them twice)they sent me 2 new ones under warrenty.Only problem was reloading everything back on.

FreeCell 18:32 29 Sep 07

revovery = recovery

sorry about that.

thanks guys for the info,i'll clean up the disc to see what happens.
just outta curiousity(sp) if i bought a hard drive,would it come fully loaded with an OS?
cheers.
andy.

€dstowe 07:31 30 Sep 07

New hard drives are not loaded with anything - normally they are not even formatted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…