Reboot after 20mins

Peter-200561 15:19 27 Jun 05

XP Home Pentium 4 Anti Virus installed etc
After about 20mins use computer crashes and i get the reboot from CD screen. (happened several times but could get the computer going again by turning off at mains but even this fails now) If i run repair option from the Windows CD i get error message WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. . Tried all options and finally went to reinstall which went ok until i had "insert SP 1 cd" only having SP2 i used that but this produced error message saying installation can not continue. .
Looking at all the other forum questions and trying various angles I seem to be in limbo.

Any thoughts out there

rawprawn 16:10 27 Jun 05

Your SP2 CD should work,is it OK, have you used it before? Did you format before trying to reinstall.

Peter-200561 16:23 27 Jun 05

no i was advised rightly or wrongly i could simply re-install over existing XP.
One thing i failed to mention some time ago everything crashed big time-different problem and was forced to take it to computer shop for repair.
They formated the hard drive + re-installed XP from their own shop CD (with SP1). Could this cause a conflict. I now live another country away from shop so asking them is not an option.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 27 Jun 05

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:41 27 Jun 05
  Diemmess 16:47 27 Jun 05

You might bear in mind that a time related fault which seems to be getting worse, may be heat related.

Some tiny part of say your motherboard, might have a component at the limit of its tolerence and fails to do its thing once its temperature goes much above room temperature.

Of course there must be other reasons. You might help by careful removal of mobo fan/s exposing their heat sinks and before replacing them, brush away every particle of dust so they look "as new" and will do their cooling properly.

Peter-200561 16:51 27 Jun 05

From memory i think i did what you suggested, when i am back in front of computer i will try again and also try the Microsoft fix

Peter-200561 16:55 27 Jun 05

Actually it did start playing up when we had the hottest temperatures last week (32c+-i live in France) Will do a full spring clean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…