//some 3rd party need geo

R.e.AVG6-Cannot open files

Dagwoood 13:31 11 Mar 04

I've recently started using AVG6 and have noticed when I perform a scan that there are certain files that weren't scanned as the files couldn't be opened.

All the files are in Documents and Settings and either NTUSER DAT OR USRCLASS DAT files bar one which is a config system log file.

Is this normal or should I be changing any settings to correct this?

I'm running on xp pro.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, dagwoood.

Sethhaniel 14:50 11 Mar 04

if a file is being used by windows at the time it couldn't be reopened by program to check

Dagwoood 19:02 11 Mar 04

bump

GroupFC 21:28 11 Mar 04

I'm afraid I don't know the answer - but it is something I too have noticed and wondered about!

So I'll give it a bump and see what anyone has to offer!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 22:50 11 Mar 04

You could try turning system restore off then scanning may help.

Regards.

Dagwoood 01:28 12 Mar 04

(Sorry, I don't know how to spell your name correctly).

Thanks for the suggestion but if I did that I would lose all my restore points. Thats not something I'd be happy with as this tool, in the past, has corrected problems I've had.

Cheers.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 01:59 12 Mar 04

Ok,understand that what about this go to search
enter NTUSER.DAT then search on your C\ drive
then when it finds the file right click and select scan with AVG.Repeat for the file u need scanning.

Regards.

Dagwoood 02:33 12 Mar 04

Thanks for that. Just tried it and I'm virus free. Never occured to me to scan each file individually.

Once again, thanks for the continued help.

Dagwoood.

Dagwoood 03:11 12 Mar 04

The message “Cannot open; not checked!” does not mean that the files are infected. These files may be system files which are loaded to memory or are system protected and cannot be accessed by AVG.

For other peoples benefit, just found the above on the Grisoft site.

Dagwoood.

Sethhaniel 08:05 12 Mar 04

!!!!

Dagwoood 12:57 12 Mar 04

I added the quote from Grisoft as, further to your posting about it couldn't check files that were in use, it also said that the s/w couldn't open certain files because they are system protected.

It wasn't my intention to seem like I'd ignored your response.

Hope no offence caused.

Dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…