Realtek HD audio produces no sound, and doesn't allow for new audio devices to be connected

Joe GJ 11:50 21 Feb 15

Hi, if anyone can help out with this it would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance. Anyway I'm using an Asus Eee PC netbook with a realtek HD audio interface, and a built in realtek speaker and mic. Audio has been fine up until now (And I use various music software) until suddenly I can get no sound out of the realtek driver at all. Windows says that the speakers are running, and all the services are fine, but when I go to playback devices and click 'test' on the speakers, I get an error saying 'this device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and try again' This is wrong, there are no visible applications open and nothing should be taking exclusive use anyway, becaues exclusive mode is turned off. I assume this is some form of memory leak, but nothing can seem to fix it. Not only that, but any external audio device I plug in (like headphones) aren't recognised in the playback devices window. The only way for me to get sound out of the PC is when I run the ASIO4ALL V2 interface through music software, which recognises all my devices. ASIO doesn't work with windows, so I need the realtek to work in order to use the Netbook!

If anyone knows this issue, please help!!! Joe GJ

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…