Realtek HD Audio Device Not Producing Sound

Big Trev 12:10 PM 16 Jul 12

I'm running a high-ish spec Compaq desktop with Window 7 installed and a sound card integral to the motherboard. All sound worked perfectly until I installed Skype. Now I can't get any sound out of my speakers.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the Realtek HD Audio Device but to no avail. No flags in the device manager to give a clue. Visually all seems normal. The speakers work on another PC.

Any idea what the problem is?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:13 PM 16 Jul 12

Try going into "sounds" in control panel and check the vice is selected there.

Woolwell 13:41 PM 16 Jul 12

"worked perfectly until I installed Skype". Shouldn't have made a difference but may be worthwhile checking Skyp audio settings and speakers selected.

Big Trev 15:22 PM 16 Jul 12

Thanks guys, but I have uninstalled Skype and the device is selected in control panel.

rdave13 15:41 PM 16 Jul 12

Try this, right click the icon in notification area, select playback devices and make sure Speakers is selected as the default device. Under the communications tab check the button is dotted for 'do nothing' or ' reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%'. Also in the box, under playback tab, you can configure and test you speakers. If you have Realtek HD Audio Manager installed then also check the settings there.

rdave13 15:43 PM 16 Jul 12

PS, this is where I got my Realtek HD driver, Link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…