RealOne Player/ Media Player Questions

Pesala 08:31 28 Mar 03

First, thank you to Madboy for recommending RealOne player. It seems to be more stable than RealPlayer8. The interface is also more appealing.

RealOne wants me to register with my email address. What is the benefit of registration, as I don't wish to pestered by emails advertising media services.

What default prefernces do you recommend I need to change? I already noticed two or three advertisments telling me I was missing some software. I don't need Weather Cast. I can check the local weather whenever I visit the BBC home page. I don't wish to be interrupted by nag screens every time I look at the latest news.

Is there any point in having Windows Media player installed as well? RealOne Player can play MP3 files, so what can WMP do that RealOne Player cannot?

hugh-265156 12:12 28 Mar 03

keep them both.realone is used for bbc news etc.some sites use both and quality varies from site to site.to turn of news alerts pop ups etc open realone go to tools/preferences /automatic services and untick everything untick auto update also.then start/run msconfig and untick realsched under startup tab.then go back and under tools/preferences/playback settings tick enable instant playback set the buffer to about 30secs.under connection tab tick enable turboplay tick automaticaly detect my online status and set min and max to dsl/cable 512 for both.under hardware set everything to best quality.

cracker23 12:33 28 Mar 03

You could always try Jet Audio it plays both real & wmp files

hugh-265156 12:33 28 Mar 03

and as for registering go ahead and do so.set up for uk.also in tools click check for updates and install all security patchs and anything else you feel that may be useful to you.click tell me more for description of update.

Pesala 13:17 28 Mar 03

Thanks Huggy for that detailed response. No sign of RealShed on the Startup tab in MsConfig, but otherwise everything was clear enough.

I shall leave this thread open for a while in case any problems crop up, as others may be interested too if they are still using RealMediaPlayer8.

Pesala 10:14 29 Mar 03

To download RealOne Player click here

Pesala 10:21 29 Mar 03
  Pesala 20:25 31 Mar 03

I was looking for a way to have the player in a window with no menus, just a thin window border. I tried downloading the Basic Thin Skin. This is a bit tidier, but splits the player into two bits, which I don't much like. One odd side-effect of applying the skin, is that On Top While Playing stops working, and has to be removed and reapplied.

Are there any other skins that will give me what I want?

Pesala 00:23 05 Apr 03

On closing the menu windows I get a page not found error and the news restarts from the beginning.

I am getting used to the basic thin skin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…