Really stupid excel question

Josquius 17:35 02 Nov 03

I have not used excel for ages and I should know how to do this however it seems I have forgotten somehow.
I wish to count the amount of occurances of a certain word.

Columns 2,5,74,82,88,89 = WORD
all other columns 2-108 = something else.

What would I put in the = to count the amount of occurances of WORD
I really can't remember and excel help is no help as per usual.

Border View 17:41 02 Nov 03

Dont have the answer but the question is not stupid. There are too many people in this forum only too willing to help. Feel sure that an answer will be forthcoming. Isn't it Woodchip who is excellent with Xcel?

VoG II 17:48 02 Nov 03

Not stupid at all - in fact it's not at all obvious. Say you want to count the number of times WORD occurs in A1:A100 enter the following formula in a "spare" cell.

VoG II 17:54 02 Nov 03

These examples may help click here

Josquius 19:49 02 Nov 03

Thanks its worked, going to be doing a lot with excel in the following months :(

Josquius 20:11 02 Nov 03

hmm now for stage 2 which is pretty hard not just a simple word-

I have a total of how many cells say WORD, now I need to add up the totals in the cells to the right of the WORD cells...

VoG II 20:13 02 Nov 03

What cells are the totals in?

Let's say they are in D1 to D100

Then in a spare cell enter the formula

reddwarfcrew 21:06 02 Nov 03

I think he needs to use the sumif.

ie he wants to total up the values in the cell to the right of any cells that contain 'word'

VoG II 21:10 02 Nov 03

You may be right. I think that we should wait for Josquius to confirm or otherwise.

Border View 22:18 02 Nov 03

VoG, my apologies, I got you confused with Woodchip. Knew there was an EXcel expert out there. Only remembered tonight. Sorry.

VoG II 22:23 02 Nov 03

I'm happy for woodchip to answer the XL questions!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…