Really slow broadband speed, too far from exchange

lahorie 15:20 23 Oct 08

Hi

I have ADSL which should run at 2mb download. I am getting round about 0.5mb download as i live so far from the exchange, there is no cable in my area, BT and others have said an increase to 8mb would not make a difference to the speed. Are there any alternatives out there?

Very frustrated
Lahorie

Halmer 15:22 23 Oct 08

to see if they can tweak the settings?

lahorie 15:23 23 Oct 08

Hi Halmer

Yes nothing they can do apart from get another line and bond these whatever this means.

Cheers

Technotiger 15:40 23 Oct 08

If your Router is on a extension lead from your main BT box, then you could use a BT iPlate to probably increase your speed. I use one and it increased my speed three-fold. Though it does not work for everyone, the small outlay is worth a try.

click here

lahorie 15:47 23 Oct 08

Thanks Technotiger

The router is not on an extension, i have heard of this so will give it a go plugging it directlt into the master socket.

Border View 15:54 23 Oct 08

I live a long way from the Exchange and on advice bought a Speedtouch 585v6. My previous D-link was absolutely no good for such a distance from the exchange, whereas the Speedtouch 585v6 gave me a more stable line and thus speeds of 1.8

Best of luck.

lahorie 16:03 23 Oct 08

Hi Barmoor

I have a draytek 2800 - its pretty good, i tried this at a friends house and got the speed he has his line set to, so i don't think it's the router per say.

Cheers
Lahorie

MarvintheAndroid 18:22 23 Oct 08

Ask your ISP to report an intermittent fault to BT and get the line tested. This can sometimes help. Also unplug any unneeded devices from your phone system, for example I leave my Sky+ box unplugged except when I want to buy a movie (no, not that sort).

Marv

AL47 18:28 23 Oct 08

the fastest i get is 60-80KBps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced