REALLY Slow boot up

amonra 13:47 PM 07 Nov 11

I have an old Dell Dimension 8400 which served me well for years and was kept as a standby in my study. Last week I decided to give it a birthday and ran the defrag program on the C drive running Win XP. (The D drive had another copy of an old XP). I clean forgot to check it until a couple of days later, didn't bother to check the screen, just shut it down normally. I restarted it the following day, the screen was screen stuck on XP logo loading. To cut a long story short, after various attempts to analyse the fault, I finally managed to get it to load in safe-mode, but it took AGES ! Talk about glaciers moving, this was like watching paint dry. Any attempt to open any program was pathetically slow, I mean like 5 minutes to open Word. I didn't bother any more, I tried to reinstal Windows from the installation disk. I'm still waiting for it to come to the Language page after about 15 minutes ! Has anyone any idea as to what is wrong ? Has the M/B died a death ? The memory still shows 2Gb and nothing else looks "off". I'm really baffled, could something have over-heated during the long defrag ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 PM 07 Nov 11

I think best bet is to do a full format from the CD during setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11