Really desperate to speed up!

littlestan 14:43 19 Mar 11

Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate some help and apologies for the length of the post. I have a really really slow startup laptop - at least to access the internet. It can take up to 10 mins. I have a basic laptop HP running Vista. I have had it for 3 years and it has always been slow, but now its stupid. I have been trying to get to the bottom of the problem for ages, but then it gets going and i put up with it - but now I just have to sort it out. I have removed as many of the unwanted programmes before. I know, I hear you all sighing but i'm just mrs average and should have done something sooner and now bull by horns time finally. Anyway...

I only use it for home stuff - internet etc. no graphic stuff and never play games. I understand that the problem might be the amount of stuff on startup. I have gone to misconfig, then under startup the following is ticked....please bear with me with this little lot, but i would rather you know what I know, and hopefully you can hold my hand to try and sort this out. My fear is losing something and the blasted thing not then working at all - which would be a disaster - so your underestanding and patience would be really appreciated. here we go - as I say these are all ticked:

windows defender,
hp quick launch,
hp health check schedule,
hp wireless assist (listed and ticked twice), inter(r) common user interface (listed and ticked 3 times),
winpatrol monitor,
wireless manage application,
mobile me,
quicktime,
itunes,
[email protected] operating system (twice) super antispyware,
finepix viewer

So there we go..... can anyone please speed me up before i go mad!! Thanks lots LS

birdface 15:03 19 Mar 11

Maybe try running the free version of MalwareBytes as w/defender is not much good.
Do you not have an anti-virus program downloaded.

click here

littlestan 15:18 19 Mar 11

hi buteman, i have avast, ccleaner, spyware blaster and super antispyware all downloaded free from her.

birdface 15:20 19 Mar 11

Maybe try my computer.Right click C drive and then click on properties.
Disc clean up run that. also It should tell you how much space you have left on your hard drive.
What O/S are you using XP/Vista/W/7 and how much ram have you got.
Check Device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks beside any of your drivers.
Check Task manager .processes.And under CPU system idle process should be showing about 96% if nothing running.
Anything else using up a lot of the CPu let us know what.
Saturday Sunday is not the best days to get help so things might be a bit slow till others join in.
Not sure about HP start up programs so will leave that for someone else to help you with.
Defrag might help but it takes a while unless you have another one downloaded that you can use.

littlestan 15:24 19 Mar 11

blimey shopping list..... not sure i can do all of it but thanks buteman and all help is appreciated. cheer ls

birdface 15:27 19 Mar 11

Ok I never seen Avast on the start up programs.
Maybe make sure none of your security programs are set to scan at start up.
Either set them to a different time or run them manually when the time suits you.
W/Defender I have never liked but some do.

rawprawn 15:27 19 Mar 11

You can untick everything except Microsoft Operating system and your Antivirus

Here is a guide to help with slow computers, courtesy of fruit bat.

. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Mon, [email protected]:15

Slow PC pt2

2. Hardware

a) Hard drives / IDE Channels:

i) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

birdface 15:35 19 Mar 11

If you get stuck at anything just ask someone should always be around to help.
If using XP let us know.
if you are right click My Computer.properties.
it should tell you how much ram or memory that your computer has.
Also while there open some of the boxes at the top and one of them when opened should say Device manager.If so check in that to see if any yellow exclamation marks for any drivers.
it has been a while so not sure which box you open just check them all to find one with device manager.
Task manager just right click the Taskbar and click on task manager.

birdface 15:41 19 Mar 11

Hi rawprawn just notice that one is 3 years old now, have you got an up to date version or does he still use that version.

littlestan 15:57 19 Mar 11

rawprawn/buteman I have no little yellow signs anywhere.

If i untick things do they disappear as i dont want to mess things up! so to clarify, out of my list above, do i just leave the defender and microsoft operating system - then I assume everything stays on the desk top to access when I want to use it and by unticking it doesnt delete it or make it unusable? ....so sorry chaps I really am a nervy user!

littlestan 15:59 19 Mar 11

sorry buteman - it says on ram 1.00gb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…