really bad/annoying computer problem, please help?

theresnogoodnamesleft 23:37 11 Apr 05

what happened was my laptop crashed earlier today, went to a black screen saying 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key' in other words windows xp died and wanted to be reinstalled.

i did this using the system recovery disc i have, and although it took 2 attempts for some reason, i got the thing back and working again.

the thing is everything i had before the crash is inaccessible, alhough according to the hard drive occupied space it's still there but i can't get to it.

for some reason i have 3 windows folders now, 'windows' 'windows.0' and 'windows.1'

theres a bunch of stuff i'd really like to save if i can, like music, photos i've taken and most importantly about 4 reports for uni work that i'd pretty much finished but will have to start from scratch if i can't rescue them.

pleeease, if anyone has any help/advice they'd be saving my life! are there any programs which could get at the missing files?
according to the hard drive capacity it's all there somewhere but i don't know enough about computers to sort it by myself.

thanks for any help.

Giantsquid 00:03 12 Apr 05

Hi I can see you are in a bad spot, sorry unable to help with this thread, but by posting again someone may help you, good luck,

THE TERMINATOR 00:03 12 Apr 05

You have 3 windows folders, because of the original, and your two attempts at recovery. You say you can see the drive and it's contents, but cannot access any files or programs on it?

THE TERMINATOR 00:10 12 Apr 05

can you delete both the windows.0 and windows.1 folders. If you can re-boot and press F8 before windows starts to load and choose last good known configuration. If this doesn't help press F8 again and start in safe mode, then try a system restore to before yesterday.

theresnogoodnamesleft 01:16 12 Apr 05

i can't 'see' any of the files or folder from before the crash, but i know they must still be on the hard drive as the amount of hard drive space used is pretty much the same now as it was before the crash.

searching for any of the files hasn't turned up anything.

for some reason though, there are a couple of folders that have somehow survived and can be viewed on the 'c' drive, like the folder for neverwinter nights, a game i had installed ages ago. also in the program files folder, seemingly all the things i installe don the computer pre-crash are still there and accessible.

the only thing i can't see anywhere are basically all the things that were in 'my documents' before the crash.

i'll try going for a system restore and see if that solves the problem.

theresnogoodnamesleft 01:20 12 Apr 05

another thing - in the 'documents and settings' folder there is more than one folder for my name, one of which i can access (but which is empty) and the other of which i can't access
i get the error "C:\.... is not accessible - access denied" when i try to open it.
i think that is maybe where all my files from before the crash may be?

theresnogoodnamesleft 02:07 12 Apr 05

actually i managed to go into safe mode, use the admin functions to give myself ownership of the folder and it turns out when i looked in, all my files are still there. yay! thanks for the replies.

THE TERMINATOR 22:00 12 Apr 05

I'm glad I was able to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…