Really annoying elusive problem...

wotbus@ 17:14 15 Dec 05

XP Home\Audigy2 sound\radion 9700 graphics\athlon3000+\1.5Gb ddram\a7n8x DL mobo. The problem: every 3 minutes or so, the PC pauses - bit less than a second. I have now discovered everything pauses, even the cursor (the final test was moving the mouse in a circle and watching it). I first noticed it when flying my simulator ages ago but put it down to the load on the graphics card. All other movement was fluid but for the moment when the screen froze for perhaps less than a second. [Not to be confused with jerky screen due to low frame rates]. I have recently been doing some audio work and noticed some glitches when recording from old LP's. I put this down to the condition of the LP and/or stylus. The other day however, when playing back a CD track from file I know to be perfect, hey ho the same glitch. From the cursor and typing test I now know everything stops every 3-5 mins for less than a second but carries on as though nothing has happened [except of course in the case of recording and playback]. I first thought it was a program running in the background but stopping all the usual stuff has no effect. I have added memory bit by bit over the last months but because I remembered I always had the problem with the simulator which I have had for a couple of years, I realise the problem must have gone unnoticed until now when I did the audio work. Anyone any idea's. It would appear to be a harware problem but where do I start to look? Apologies for the length of this post.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:27 15 Dec 05

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

In your case sounds like a memory problem or writing to disk problem(virtual memory)

Scan for spyware, check virtual memory settigs are two and a half times the installed memory, run memtest from a disk and update your graphics drivers.

wotbus@ 17:46 15 Dec 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ - plenty to try there. The PC never actually shuts down, just sort of pauses momentarily then continues! I am pretty keen on cleanliness both physical and malware so I reckon I can rule those out but I will check. Household power surges may be worh looking at first [here in France it is not very stable at the best of times, so I will sit staring at a voltmeter so see it I can see a coincidence]. Drivers could be an issue and I will check all the other things. Thanks for a very comprehensive response. ;-)

skeletal 18:43 15 Dec 05

Try click here

Leave it running and try to note when you get your glitch. Stop it and look to see what fired up at the glitch point. Be amazed at the amount of stuff going on that you never knew about!

Other things to be aware of is that every program these days accesses the internet seemingly every minute to see it there is an update. It could easily be one (or many) of these.

Skeletal

wotbus@ 20:00 15 Dec 05

Thanks skeletal, I will give it a go ;-)

ade.h 23:21 15 Dec 05

Also worth checking through the Event Log, which lists most of what goes on with times and error notices.

Similar to Skeletal's suggestion of Filemon is Regmon (by Sysinternals possibly?) Haven't got a link off the top of my head, I'm afraid.

wotbus@ 10:03 16 Dec 05

Hi. I ran the FileMon but nothing really conclusive with the same time as the glitch. I ran Memtest which took just over 1hr to complete but it reported no errors. While it was running I was having a read through my mobo users manual {Asus} and came across something called AsusProbe which I had long forgotten about. It monitors a lot of things, heating, voltages etc so I will give that a go as well as looking at the Events log and Filemon if I can find it. Then it will be attention to latest drivers. Here's hoping as I am completely blocked now with regard my audio work :-(. Thanks for the guidance.

wotbus@ 10:36 16 Dec 05

I am currently running AsusProbe, a mobo utility. It warns me that chassis and power fans are below threshold (600rpm) and showing zero! Both fans are running and would appear to be working OK and quiet! Now, a good pilot belives his instruments particularly when flying in cloud!!! but... All the other monitors - voltages etc would appear OK, the fan bit is the only anomoly. Ummm, any advice please?

rmcqua 10:46 16 Dec 05

If it is a power "surge" it will probably be too short lived to see on a voltmeter. You need a 'scope.

keef66 10:47 16 Dec 05

Don't panic about the fan speed readings. If they show zero when you can see them spinning it just means they are not set up to be monitored by the mobo. My msi board is the same, it only correctly monitors cpu fan speed. The psu regulates it's own fan speed, and the case fan runs at a constant speed since it's simply attached to the psu.

Does the glitch thing still happen if you run in safe mode? If not, it points to something running periodically in the background when running normally.

wotbus@ 11:04 16 Dec 05

For some reason my PC stopped behaving normally a couple of days ago and wouldnt start in safe mode! but I have managed to resolve that issue so I will do as you suggest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…