Real problem with Samsung R700 laptop not charging

earthlover 18:16 25 Nov 09

My son's laptop is about 18months old. Days after it ran out of warranty he had a problem with laptop not charging properly. He bought a new charger which worked but didnt fit well. He was told that was the one for his laptop.

Since then he has had further problems. The laptop was not holding charge, battery was only lasting about 10 minutes though it showed full. Also now the charger is 'flashing' on and off all the time. He took it to a shop which took a week to get round to looking at it, during which time my son took in a new battery to try. This didnt make any difference and after a few days the shop said it was probably the connector on the back of the computer. He agreed to get it replaced. The connector was 10 pounds, the labour 99 pounds plus VAT!

I picked it up and the shop said he needed to get a new charger. They had managed to charge it up with their universal charger. He took it back to the shop and tried their universal charger and several others that they had and none of them worked.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem? He has already spent about 200 pounds trying to sort this out!

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 25 Nov 09

"the shop said it was probably the connector on the back of the computer
He took it back to the shop and tried their universal charger and several others that they had and none of them worked."

Any job work carried out should be guaranteed or at least work for a reasonable time.

Get the shop to do the job properly, he paid for it and it will still not charge, tell them to fix it or refund the money, else you will be seeking solicitors advice.

Laptop Battery not showing Charging
1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. Then the battery.
Should now show 100% charged. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and the reason it showed not charging was because it was fully charged.

Could also be a defective battery.

earthlover 19:03 25 Nov 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks for your advice. The battery is a brand new one that my son bought ago and left at the shop. It shows charged since it was in the shop, they charged it. But now with his charger the charge light and charging symbol are flickin on and off all the time as before. That's why he took it back to the shop to try the universal charger. But none of the chargers they tried worked. So does he now go to more expense and buy a universal charger as the shop suggest.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 25 Nov 09

So does he now go to more expense and buy a universal charger as the shop suggest.

Certainly not if the one at the shop is not working ten why should he buy one from them which also will probably not work

charge light and charging symbol are flickin on and off

this suggest a bad connection / dc socket / power board which the shop should have fixed in the first place.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 25 Nov 09

Will the laptop run with battery removed and powered from the mains charger?

earthlover 20:04 25 Nov 09

Fruit Bat/\0/\ Just tried the laptop without battery connected to mains and it doesn't start up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 25 Nov 09

And other chargers don't work (tried in shop)

then the problem is internal to laptop which the shop should have fixed.

take it back.

grey george 20:59 25 Nov 09

I have this laptop although I generally leave the battery out so will the laptop run without the battery? The battery should have a push button on it which will then light up leds to show how much power is in it. If the led on the power transformer is flickering does it do it if it is switched on but not plugged into the laptop. If it does it all the time then there is probably a fault with the power transformer. I think there is a battery management programme in the r700 that will revive a poor preforming battery. The power plug is quite robust and a good solid fit when new so if it is sloppy then it may have been knocked. A car charger is cheap and may be one way to rule out the transformer. As others have said the "professional" shop has a duty to look further in to this. (it's not like you asked a friend to look at it). Eighteen months is not that long a time it may well be worth an email to Samsung uk or approach the place from where it was purchased for some goodwill.

reply4reply 11:38 26 Nov 09

you've had two problems.
1) the battery didnt hold charge but you replaced that, so that problem is over

2) laptop not charging, that's either the charger or the dc socket, if the shop changed the dc socket then it leaves it with the charger, most people buy universal chargers that's a big mistakes, never buy one of those, you must buy an original charger made by the same factory your laptop was supplied with or else you'll have problems, the original charges are availble on ebay, type your model number along with the word "genuine"

if the "genuine" charger still wont power on the computer without the battery fitted it means the shop hasn't fixed the dc socket.

£99 + vat for a dc socket repair is a lot of money
it should be around £80 maximum all in.

we do it for £55 all in.

earthlover 12:54 26 Nov 09

Thanks everyone for your input to the problem!

I really dont think this is a battery problem as the new battery is charged ok.

The problem seems, as reply4reply suggests, to be with getting the power to the battery. The replacement battery that my son bought online when this problem started about 6 months ago was bought as a genuine part. He went to the Samsung website to find out where to order from and when it arrived and didn't fit well he contacted the supplier and they said that was the right one for his laptop. So he put up with the poor fit and now this other problem has occurred ( the continual on/off charging.

In retrospect I think as grey george says it would have been a good idea to run the laptop from mains without the battery in but with a new battery now he is still having the problem.

From what reply4reply says I think he may be best to take it back to the shop, see what they can do, but if they suggest a new charger he should call Samsung and ask them where to get it. Then if laptop still doesnt work with new charger he should take it back to shop again and tell them they didnt do job right and they should find problem and fix without further labour charge.

Does this sound reasonable?

grey george 19:45 26 Nov 09

If you are saying the battery is not a good fit then this may be the cause of all your problems. original batteries are a very snug and precise fit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…