Real Player Alternative

Monument 14:52 05 Feb 05

I want to listen to BBC Radio on their website but it needs Realplayer which I do not like. I have heard their is another player that will play rm and ram files can anyone please tell me what it is.

Thanks

Clint2 15:02 05 Feb 05
  sjbell 17:02 05 Feb 05
  john-232317 17:11 05 Feb 05

Or jetaudio

pj123 17:29 05 Feb 05

Yes, JetAudio from click here (free).

Needs to be setup to read Real files once it has been downloaded and installed.

Check out this thread on how to do it.

click here

Monument 12:53 11 Feb 05

Sorry not to have responded before but been away.

Thanks for the suggestions will give them a try

Modo 15:08 11 Feb 05

I'm afraid from experience that the BBC/Real Player makes very regular changes to its software. Coincidentally I find that has the result of disabling the alternatives.

If you really want to listen to the BBC channels that are Real Player only - like Radio 4 - the only way you can be sure to get the feed when you want it is Real Player.

Infuriating.

& why is it that the BBC provides a WMP version on those channels like 6Music that they want to be showing growing listernership to?

Obviously another coincidence!!

Diodorus Siculus 15:16 11 Feb 05

For what it's worth, Real Alternative has always worked for me on BBC Radio 4 (and other radio stations) - and I've been using it for a few years.

Modo 10:52 13 Feb 05

Thanks Diodorous.

I just don't get the same experience. I find that any of the Real Player Alternatives will run fine all week. But without fail between 18.00 and 20.15 every Friday the alternatives if I have Radio 4 playing go down. I have repeated exactly the same symptoms on a laptop - on the same day.

The only way I can the get Radio 4 back is to download Real Player or Real Player updates. This has been going on since the middle of last year and in the end having tried just about every permutation of players without winning I've accepted I have to put up with Real Player!

Several e-mails to the BBC have produced a string of the expected gibberish - i.e. there is no "alternative".

Diodorus Siculus 11:11 13 Feb 05

Modo - that is strange; do you run any sort of automated clean up on your PC on a Friday evening? That may be changing settings...

If you use the link from BBC site, you get an ad free version of realplayer which is a little less intrusive than the others.

I rarely listen live to BBC on the internet; simply use the listen again feature - maybe that has something to do with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…