Real Audio coming up instead of Media Player

gerryp96 22:10 04 Jan 06

My friend is running XP, when he puts cd in drive it tries to load up Real Player which he doesn't want, how can he change the setting to bring Windows Media Player as the default?.

VoG II 22:14 04 Jan 06

Follow click here but for the type of files required to open in Media Player.

Quegg 22:14 04 Jan 06

Go to start --> programs --> set program access and defaults, and you should be able to change it in the list under custom.
Hope that helps

VoG II 22:15 04 Jan 06

Or in Media Player, Tools|Options, File types tab.

Taff™ 22:35 04 Jan 06

When he downloaded Realplayer he should have unchecked EVERY option for file associations - and they took MS to court because they gave their player away for nothing! Invasive or what!

Stuartli 22:40 04 Jan 06

Anyone who installs RealPlayer has to configure it to do EXACTLY what they want and not Real.com ...:-)

By the way, although I keep using Set Program Access and Defaults for Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox browser, Trillian etc it keeps reverting back to the Microsoft preferred settings given time...:-(

gerryp96 22:45 04 Jan 06

Thanks everyone, do the suggestions apply to playing cd or copying cd's, can't understand what to do for this.

gerryp96 23:12 04 Jan 06

He is not aware he downloaded Realplayer so we can't understand where it came from.

VoG II 23:19 04 Jan 06

BBC?

click here is better

clock 23:56 04 Jan 06

Hoped this might come up sometime! I wanted to do some German studies with the BBC Language Courses on line but had to download Real Player. Being vaguely aware that it might "take over" I refused to download it. Might have a go now making sure to follow your advice!!

Clock

Taff™ 23:56 04 Jan 06

The "BBC" have to be protected against lawsuits - don`t they?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…