Real Alternative - How to uninstall?

canute44 17:47 07 May 06

I made a big mistake the other evening and installed RealAlternative media player.
As part of the install, uninstalling of Real Player was advised and carried out by RealAlternative. I find that I cannot start RealAlternative as it crashes instantly and crashes everything in Systray ending in a frozen Desktop.
Trying to uninstall RealAlternative results in the same thing - a frozen Desktop almost instantly. I have tried the program's uninstaller, Windows Add/Remove Program and CCleaner to remove RealAlternative and presume that they all use the same procedures which result in the frozen Desktop.
How can I rid myself and my computer of this program?
My OS is Windows Me and RealAlternative is said to be compatible with it.

Diodorus Siculus 17:49 07 May 06

I'm sorry you've had problems with RealAlternative - I find it an excellent little program.

Have you tried to install it again and then run the uninstall routine?

canute44 17:56 07 May 06

No, I have not yet tried reinstalling RealAlternative. The reason simply being that I was not sure if that was a good approach. I shall certainly try that as I know your advice to usually be good!
I shall try now.

Diodorus Siculus 18:01 07 May 06

I just hope I wasn't the one to suggest installation of RA!

thms 18:13 07 May 06

I don't know if this is any use
click here

I have never allowed this program on my computer ever. (Real Player that is).

canute44 18:15 07 May 06

Reinstalling RealAlternative resulted in the player opening but crashing a new set of things!
Fear not kind sir, you were not the one who suggested RA!!
I shall now try to uninstall the prog.

canute44 18:42 07 May 06

Trying to uninstall RealAlternative still results in a frozen Desktop.
I did not mention in my original posting that System Restore will not work either, but whether this is connected with my problems with RealAlternative or not is unknown as I have not used in a while.

palinka 19:37 07 May 06

How about my usual recommendation :Start>search>all files and folders; type in real alternative and click search. Delete all it finds (within reason - this method may also find a doc you wrote called "alternative something-or-other" which you want to keep).

canute44 19:39 07 May 06

Sorry that I appear to ignoring your posting.
I am currently exploring/thinking about the link's advice. I'll think a bit more and let you know how I get on.

Diodorus Siculus 20:21 07 May 06

Try uninstalling in safe-mode - it may help.

canute44 20:43 07 May 06

I tried your method while I was in Linux and then booted into Windows. RealAlternative files are now hiding in the Linux Trash folder and Windows cannot find them there. If needed (and if I remember where they are!) I can restore them - I could have used Recycle Bin but I was in Linux at that moment. I have allowed Windows to delete the links in the Start Menu. RealAlternative does not "exist" now, we shall see what happens in time!

Diodorus Siculus
As I am dual booting, I have not discovered how I enter Safe Mode. I tried hitting F8 but that did not work.
One is learning all the time!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…