Reading SVCD discs

Sie1 20:01 06 Jul 03

I have been given a number of SVCD recorded discs which I cannot get to play on any of my computer drives, which included a DVD rom drive and CDRW drive on my main computer and DVD/CDRW combi drive on my laptop.

These drives play all the other formats that have tried. I have even managed to copy a SVCD disc using clone and my CDRW drive.

The discs are fine as I can play them on my fairly cheap DVD player connected to my TV.

What gives ?

Any answers greatly received

Ironman556 20:55 06 Jul 03

Have you got the right CODECS? Go to click here and download the CODECS from there.

clayton 21:29 06 Jul 03

Also try here click here

Sie1 21:46 06 Jul 03

I presume so. I have windows Media Player 9, cyberlink power DVD, WinDVD and DivX Player 2 (alpha).

I haven't seen any codecs specifically for SVCD.

I've had a hunt around and seen ASPI drivers mentioned but there appears to be conflicting instructions and advice. I am not using SCSI, which apperently effects which version of the drivers I can install.

Feel like I'm going around in circles. Cant understand why there should be a problem on two totally different computers, though both are running XP home, fully patched and up to date.

Ironman556 23:08 06 Jul 03

The standard Media Player (even V. 9) doesn't have support for all DivX files. You'll probably need the newer CODECS from the site above. The free download is only just over 3MB. There's an ad-ware supported version with extra software bundles, but the basic should do the job.

Sie1 16:51 07 Jul 03

Ive downloaded the latest DivX codecs and also updated my aspi layer with the latest Nero patch, however, still no joy.

When I browse the video disc, I get the file AVSEQ01.MPG, within the MPEG2 folder, however when I double click this file, I get the CDRW drive light flashing as if data is being accessed or copied but nothing happens within the player window. Media Player shows connecting....., DivX player crashes and winDVD and Power DVD just sulk.

As I mentioned earlier, this disc plays fine on my standalone DVD player, connected to my T.V. Out of all of my equipment, this is usually the most easily upset

DieSse 17:04 07 Jul 03

Have a look at this message thread click here

and at this referenced site click here

Hope they help

Sie1 18:11 07 Jul 03

Nothing doing ......

Ive downloaded another SVCD codec and another video player. Still no joy.

Ive tried to copy the mpeg file to a folder on my computer but got a I/O device error. Another time i got a ms-dos unsupported error.

Its starting to get to me now. I dont think that it is a software problem as I think I've tried every possible permutation.

Could it be an issue with Win XP? I dont think that it is a drive problem as I've tried three drives on two separate machines. Could the disc be corrupted but still play on a standalone DVD player.

I've now got less hair than when I started. I'm going out now and will check any posts later tonight. Thanks to all the people who have tried to help so far.

Ironman556 18:33 07 Jul 03

Have you got any more discs you can try? If it doesn't work on two PC's then it's looking likely to be the CD.

There may be some data the PC needs which is corrupt which the DVD player doesn't. One good thing about cheap producs is that they can be less sensitive to errors and just ignore them sometimes.

You could try going into the properties of the CD-ROM to see if you can limit the maximum speed to 1x. It'll take a while to transfer to the hdd if it works, but it might be worth a go.

Sie1 18:57 07 Jul 03

Ive just tried on my friends pc. Still no joy. I've managed to play any amount of vcd's on both my pc's but I only have these non playing SVCD's to try.

I would have put it down to a partly corrupt disc, except that the friend who copied them for me in the first place can get them to play on his system, which is similar to mine in spec except that he has a hardware DVD decoding card. Do you think that this makes a difference ? Could it be that his DVD rom will read them and mine will not ?

Sorry. I cant provide the spec of his system.

Ironman556 21:47 07 Jul 03

I would have thought that any CD-ROM should read the discs fine as they're in SVCD format not DVD. It's strange that you get an error reading from the disc when trying to copy to hard disk. Can you borrow the originals and see if they work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…