reading outlook emails on 2 computers

Daisy22 19:36 21 Sep 07

Now that I have a desktop PC and a laptop I am wondering how I can set the laptop so that I can see any emails which go into Outlook Express on my other PC.
At the moment, if I havent opened the OE emails I can view them on the laptop, but once they've been opened they don't appear in windows mail
Is there a way to do this please cos its getting a bit frustrating now
many thanks

brundle 19:41 21 Sep 07

You can have OE leave the messages on the server, but if you set both computers to do that, they will stay there until you delete them, even when both machines have downloaded all the messages. Ideally you need to decide which machine will download and remove the messages so that things dont build up on the server.

Go to tools/Accounts, select the relevant one, click Properties, click Advanced, tick Leave a copy of messages on the server. You have the option to leave the messages there for a certain number of days, if you use that make sure only one machine does so.

Forum Editor 19:42 21 Sep 07

that you want to synchronise your mail folders between the two computers, and if so, are they networked in some way?

Forum Editor 19:44 21 Sep 07

The penny's dropped - thanks brundle, why didn't I see it that way?

Daisy22 19:46 21 Sep 07

Ideally I would just like to be able to see my emails in both outlook express and windows mail from one computer, or both whichever I am accessing at the time. It doesn't look like it is an easy option though

Forum Editor 19:55 21 Sep 07

unless you do what brundle suggests. If you set both mmachines to leave messages on the server you will certainly be able to see your mail on both computers, but you'll rapidly use up your mailbox allocation, and then inbound mail will be bounced.

Setting only one machine to leave the messages on the server will mean that both machines will download the mail, but you would have to remember to download to use the same machine first each time. Use the one that hasn't been set to leave copies on the server and it will delete them - so you won't see them on machine number 2.

There is an alternative, and that's to use webmail exlusively. That way you'll see your mail in Internet Explorer on both computers, and you can delete them yourself, when you're ready.

Daisy22 20:34 21 Sep 07

please could you explain about the alternative? is it easy to set up and use, does it work the same as outlook/windows mail, and does it cost anything to use?

I would probably need step by step instructions on how to install/use it

thanks for your help

brundle 20:42 21 Sep 07

You don't install webmail, it just means accessing your email via a webpage. Go to your ISP's homepage and see if there's an email login box.

Daisy22 20:59 21 Sep 07

My ISP is wanadoo france, I've always found it easier to use outlook for emailing as its in English. However, I've found even when accessing or sending emails via wanadoo, I can't seem to read them from both computers. If I've sent from one PC they stay stored on that one and vice versa. Maybe I haven't set it up quite right (which is a bit difficult as its in French)but I would still prefer to access it all in English.

brundle 21:08 21 Sep 07

If you've used Webmail they're not stored on your PCs at all. If you want to keep accessing the emails via
two computers, you have to elect one as the main machine, one that downloads and deletes. No easy way round it really. I access my pop3 email from various computers using small apps that work without needing installation but only actually download them to an email client on my own PC.

2 basic email clients ; click here
click here

Not as user friendly as OE/Mail but they do the job.

brundle 21:09 21 Sep 07

Again, you need to make sure the client leaves messages on the server after downloading them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…