reading my old hard drive.

notmeguv 12:18 14 Mar 04

windows xp pro, 2.4ghz, asus p4pe mothrboard. ive just swaped my old ata hard drive for an new sata drive, and installed windowes from scratch. it all works fine. my question is, is there any why i can plug my old drive in to an ide port temporarily, just to copy some old files. or would i have to reboot it with just my old drive and copy the files to cd. thanks.

gudgulf 12:36 14 Mar 04

Should be no problem to do that----try it and post back if it does no work.

anon1 12:38 14 Mar 04

you will probably have to set the jumpers to slave.

exodus 12:38 14 Mar 04

If either drive is manufactured by Maxtor, then you can use Maxblast3 to copy the entire contents of one drive to another, including the o/s. If that does not apply, then set the old drive as slave and boot up from the new drive. If XP recognises the new drive, then you will be able to copy the data across that you need.

notmeguv 12:44 14 Mar 04

it worked, i set it to slave, switched off, then pluged it in and booted. cheers. i didnt like to try it without asking anyone, incase i messed my motherboard up or something. cheers.

gudgulf 12:51 14 Mar 04

Your system will boot from the sata drive,so it wont matter if your old drive is set as master or slave.This is because your new sata drive has been configured as the boot drive in bios.

( Come to think ot it wont matter which drive it boots from anyway, as once in windows you can drag any file from one drive to the other.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…