Reading hardrive from old Toshiba

rogerdodger 11:44 08 Nov 03

I have an old Toshiba satalite 1100cs
purchased in 1987 that had cesed to operate and
is not worth repairing. However there is quite a lot of data on the seagate hardrive and I would like to sort through it and download some files.

Any ideas how I would go about it please
thanks in hope

roger

graham√ 11:59 08 Nov 03

Visit Seagate to find the drive, set the jumpers to slave and connect to the PC. With luck, Windows should see it.

graham√ 12:00 08 Nov 03

Forgot click here

Rtus 12:14 08 Nov 03

using an adapter like those found Here >

click here
click here
click here

Rtus 12:17 08 Nov 03

Sorry thought it were a Laptop......

Rtus 12:26 08 Nov 03

thanks for that ,I thought fopr a mo I was on the wrong track....

rogerdodger 05:17 09 Nov 03

typo tosh laptop 1997.
Read replies and thnks to all but
I am not very experienced and dont
fully understand so would anyone please
be able to advise me on the following:
what do I have to find out from seagate
site?

The Seagate hd is about 2.5"x4"and
cased in a metal holder that I presume
is just to attach to the laptop?

Do I have to buy an adaptor to enable a
transfer from small size connection on laptop
hdd to the larger on the pc?

What are the jumpers exactly ?

I have opened the PC up many times to fit memory etc but I am wondering if this is complicated

thanks for your help guys

roger

rogerdodger 08:49 09 Nov 03

Thanks all for your suggestions. Although I have fitted memory etc before I need to know more details before I feel confident so can I ask a few questions about previous posts please:

1.why do I have to visit seagate site
2 hd is 4" x 2.5" and in a metal case which I presume is only to fix in laptop securly?
3.Is the adaptor just to convert smaller connection hd to larger pc hd?
4.Is it simple set the jumpers ?

Thanks in advance for help

Roger

rogerdodger 13:38 09 Nov 03

Thanks a lot,will buy an adaptor online.
Although I am familiar with type of connector
and know where my pc hd is,how do I install onto secondry master IDE please? Also can I transfer required data onto existing pc hd or put in on a 100mb zip.
system is a gateway 2000 450mhz intel p3 8gb hd
running xp pro

Thanks in advance

Roger

rogerdodger 02:55 10 Nov 03

Thanks a lot,will buy an adaptor online. Although I am familiar with type of connector and know where my pc hd is,how do I install onto secondry master IDE please? Also can I transfer required data onto existing pc hd or put in on a 100mb zip. system is a gateway 2000 450mhz intel p3 8gb hd running xp pro
Thanks in advance

Roger

Rtus 10:15 10 Nov 03

If you know where your Pc Hd is..The flat multiwire cable out of the end of that Is the IDE cable then 4 wire cable is power to the drive ..Following back from the Hd to the motherboard will take you to the IDE port usually Ide0/1 combined . near this is another port exactly the same Known as Ide2/3.this usually has cable & is attached to the Cdrom /Cdrw /Secondry storage Hd's..But combinations vary depending on the user..If you have the Ide2 populated then Unplug the drive concerned inc power and use that connector to attach the 2.5 adaptor tochange the jumpers of 2.5 drive to suit connection (master/slave).mounting the drive somewhere level & flat.(pile of cardboard boxes)outside the case..Plug the power adapter in to and boot. when you get to C:(windows ) add a new folder to the desktop (4gb max)then explore the 2.5 drive copy & paste any info into the new desktop folder..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…