Reading GD-Roms?

jc_ferrero 02:50 06 Oct 07

Is there any way through firmware or elsewise to make my DVD/CD burner read the outer area of a GD-Rom, which contain the data track? The drive firtly reads with the CD laser, where no data is stored, then moves on to the DVD laser before determining that the outer tracks are beyond its readable resolution.

jc_ferrero 02:55 06 Oct 07

Oh, forgot to add. You can pick up a GD-ROM laser for $15 also, would that help?

DieSse 08:51 06 Oct 07

click here seems a fair guide to what you can and can't do.

jc_ferrero 16:02 06 Oct 07

Hmm just strange because I know of a Yamaha model CD-RW that can read GD-ROMS with a firmware bios flash. So it's more firmware than hardware related.

crosstrainer 16:08 06 Oct 07

You can't do it with Windows, but you can get Linux drivers that will....Not much help really, but all the ISO forums seem to indicate the same thing I'm afraid.

jc_ferrero 16:36 06 Oct 07

Thanks for your replies!

What about the swap trick?

crosstrainer 16:44 06 Oct 07

Risk it....you stand a good chance of messing up the laser alignment on the drive, and you could end up buying a nrew one.

jc_ferrero 16:48 06 Oct 07

I have three DVD-RWs sitting around home lol, I don't mind if I lose one of my babies.

DieSse 17:06 06 Oct 07

"I know of a Yamaha model CD-RW that can read GD-ROMS with a firmware bios flash."

Yes the Wiki says that - it depends whether the ones you have have firmware updates available or not.

Since it seems that GD-ROMS are being phased out, it seems unlikely to me that drive manufacturers will be rushing to provide updated firmware if they haven't done so already.

DieSse 17:08 06 Oct 07

Since the whole way in which the data is recorded and read from the drives is quite different, it also seems (vanishingly) unlikely that simply changing the laser would make the difference required.

jc_ferrero 17:13 06 Oct 07

I also know a dedicated Dreamcast community who have the firmware uploaded. Whether it works or not is another question.

Another way would be to buy a dev-kit. It's just not $300 important to me, and if there was some way to execute the swap trick, I'd definitely look into it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac