Reading excel spreadsheets in Vista

Piggles 21:51 22 Sep 09

I have just purchased a shining new Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried to open up spreadsheets (.xlr files) from my old Windows XP computer and Vista cannot open them. Can anyone help me please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:51 22 Sep 09

Is Excel loaded on your new machine?

Excel viewer
click here

Piggles 22:07 22 Sep 09

Tks for your response. I dont think I do - I seem to have Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007. I am just wondering if .xlr files are Excel or are they Works Spreadsheets?

Woolwell 22:08 22 Sep 09

xlr is a Works spreadsheet but I would have thought that Excel should be able to open it. How are you trying to open them? Try opening Excel then open and browse for all files and find the xlr file.

Woolwell 22:09 22 Sep 09

ps This is nothing to do with Vista.

DieSse 22:18 22 Sep 09

Have a read here click here

OR - if your MS Office is a time limited trial version - you can download FREE Open Office which will almost certainly open your files.

click here

Piggles 22:20 22 Sep 09

Tks Woolwell. I have had a good look but I dont seem to have Excel.

Piggles 22:25 22 Sep 09

Beg pardon - when I open an Office spreadsheet it says it is Microsoft Excel. I am getting confused.

Piggles 22:30 22 Sep 09

No it doesnt - it says Microsoft Office Excel.

Woolwell 22:50 22 Sep 09

MS Office Home and Student has Excel. You probably have Excel not Works.

Piggles 23:16 22 Sep 09

Thanks to all - I seem to have resolved the problem. I opened the files that I had copied onto disk using Office Excel and saved them in the new format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…