Reading Emails on Networked PC's

Davy 43 14:04 21 Aug 08

This might seem like a daft question, & the answer is perhaps blindingly obvious, but I'm going to ask it anyway!
When you open OE & read your emails on one PC on a network, why can't you see the read/un-read emails on another PC. Are they specific to that IP address on that PC, or is there a setting you can change?

Thanks in advance.

ps, Both laptop & desktop are using Vista.

BurrWalnut 19:21 21 Aug 08

If your ISP allows mail to be left on their server, it's a simple procedure. Open Windows Mail then:
1. On all PCs:
Tools > Accounts > Mail [mail account(s)] > Properties > Advanced Tab > Delivery and put a check in ‘Leave a copy of messages on server‘.

2. On one PC:
Tools > Accounts > Mail [mail account(s)] > Properties > Advanced Tab > Delivery and select ‘Remove from server after XX days’ (choose as appropriate)

3. Optional on one PC (if you delete mail when closing the program on Tools > Options > Maintenance Tab):
Tools > Accounts > Mail [mail account(s)] > Properties > Advanced Tab > Delivery and put a check in ‘Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items‘.

4. Send an email to yourself to check that it's working on all machines.

5. Unfortunately, Sent Items cannot be synchronised with a POP account but you can circumvent this by including your email address in the Bcc box. Then, as the mail is received, simply drag it from the Inbox to Sent Items.

You will have to be careful if filtering/rules are used. The simple way is to do it manually, e.g. drag specific emails to specific folders. If you do this on all PCs they will stay synchronised.

mgmcc 19:28 21 Aug 08

If you want to view all messages, incoming and outgoing, in multiple computers (and provided your ISP supports it) use IMAP4 instead of POP3.

I have a personal domain name which is set up with a redirect to a Googlemail account. The Googlemail account is configured to allow me to retrieve mail by IMAP4, which I do with Thunderbird, and regardless of which computer I use, all messages are available.

Davy 43 20:49 21 Aug 08

Thanks for the advice BurrWalnut, have done that & everything is fine on both PC's.

Thanks also mgmcc for responding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…