Reading DVDs Freezes My Computer

degssie 23:00 04 Feb 06

In my Dell Dimension 8300 I have :- a _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A and a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B, both with windows XP drivers.

My problem is that I can read CDs that I have got off magazines etc but if I put a DVD in either of the drives my system freezes and I have to hold in the power switch and restart the machine.

I have not tried a movie yet but the DVDs that I have tried to access are the free ones on PC Advisor magazine and the Installation disc for "MyDVD" which came with the computer. Just to put you in the picture I have just re-installed XP from the supplied disc (I bought my 8300 in July 2003) and have had no problems with the Utilities CDs but only DVDs.

I downloaded and installed the chipset driver and also the drivers on the supplied utility disc and I have just downloaded R59801 for the 1100a DVD drive. I was able to load one DVD from PC Advisor and installed Skybot-Search and Destroy off it. When I tried reading another DVD from the same mag my computer just froze up before.

I can load from a DVD when I first start but if I try a second time (Even with the same DVD) the machine freezes. HELP!!!

ashdav 01:25 05 Feb 06

If you've reinstalled from a 2003 disc then you probably haven't got SP2. Can you confirm this ?
To check go to start/my computer.
It will show the level of XP you've got.

degssie 01:30 05 Feb 06

I have got SP2 installed and all the latest Windows updates.

ashdav 01:59 05 Feb 06

Do you have Nero installed ?
If so try uninstalling InCD.

ashdav 02:10 05 Feb 06

Another thing, do you have your drive set to auto play or view files ?
Best if you select view files.

degssie 00:32 06 Feb 06

Thanks ashdav, I do not know if it was uninstalling Nero or changing the drives to view files but one of them has cured the problem (fingers crossed) Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…