Read and write network drive problem

Channel 15:26 17 Aug 09

I have a Freecom SL network drive, bought 2006,connected through my router to my pc-XP,and new Vista laptop.Whereas with my old laptop,also XP,I had read and write on the drive,now I get read-only on the laptop,and both on the PC.I used to back up straight to the drive from the old laptop;now I can't,which is a nuisance.I have to save the backup on a USB key to transfer it, which rather defeats the object.I have tried to download new drivers on the PC, but can't install them.(I did install the Vista compatability file on the laptop.)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 17 Aug 09

Try to set the 'file permissions.' Right-clicking the hard drive letter brings up the option, where you can select 'Properties.' You should find the 'Security' tab there, then modify the permissions on each user. You should log-on using the administrator account to modify this settings.

Channel 22:01 17 Aug 09

Thank you.I was so hopeful reading your reply-but-on the Vista laptop,after clicking Security, the message appears "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed." I am the administrator.On the PC, there is no security tab.I also clicked the Hardware tab, then the NDAS drive>Properties there, but there was no suitable option.Any other thoughts ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:15 17 Aug 09
  Channel 15:31 18 Aug 09

Thanks for trying.But, as I said above,the Security tab on the drive, on the Vista laptop, isn't available at all, getting the error message.It's the same if I try with any of the folders in the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…