read only permissions

geeza 14:00 22 Feb 05

A colleague has been given a lap top by her previous employer, and everything that she does ie. creates a new word doc and tries to copy it to floppy/CD it is read only. Have tried the normal procedures ie. properties and removing the read only tick but this doesnt work. any help appreciated.

PA28 14:05 22 Feb 05

What happens when she copies it to her hard drive? I can understand a file written to CD automatically becoming read only - but can it be copied back and then the properties altered as you have done?

geeza 14:11 22 Feb 05

What she is telling me is that anything on the machine is read only, folders etc, even if she creates a word doc it is read only and she is unable to change the attributes. I do realise that if something is copied to CD then it will be read only until you copy to desktop and change the attributes. I cant work out that someone (the previous owner for example)can make everything created on the pc is made read only.

PA28 14:30 22 Feb 05

Two further questions then as I think this may be heading into corporate security issues on which I'm not qualified (but others here are)- What Operating System is being used and do you know how this particular laptop was used within the company - was there any need to globally protect any data stored from curious meddling?

geeza 14:32 22 Feb 05

The laptop is running win2000 and I believe it was used by the finance dept, thats probably why is has been protected, she doesnt know the admin password so it looks like a rebuild.

geeza 14:35 22 Feb 05

will check this as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…