Read-only files

Truronian 18:54 PM 09 Sep 11

I have saved some Word and Excel files to CD but now that I want to delete them, I find that they are all shown as "Read-Only" and i am unable to remove them. I have tried the Help files without any joy. Any suggestions, please?

chub_tor 19:02 PM 09 Sep 11

If you have saved them to a CDR then you cannot delete them as the disks are Record once only. If you have saved them to a CDR/W which can be written to many times then you can delete them although you may have to untick Read only in the files Properties.

lotvic 19:02 PM 09 Sep 11

All files on a CD-R (or DVD-R) are read only. Think about it, you have permanently burnt the files onto the CD (or DVD)

You will need to use a CD-RW (or DVD-RW) if you want to start erasing and re-burning.

Truronian 19:36 PM 09 Sep 11

The CDs are marked Verbatim 12x CD-RW. When I click on Properties a box pops up showing a green blob in the "Read - only" box. if I uncheck that and click on Apply, I get a further message telling me "An erroe occurred applying Attributes to the file. Access is denied". What now, please?

chub_tor 20:38 PM 09 Sep 11

You need to take ownership of the files click Here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED