read only on cd

daftasbrush 00:20 27 Jul 05

i have new pc running XP on my old pc i could work straight from cd disc now if i try to work off disc i get message saying read only is there any way i can sort this out i know that i can put work on to hard disc then alter then resend it to disc

recap 10:22 27 Jul 05

Open My Computer right click the drive that has the disk in and take the tick out of Read Only at the bottom of the gerneral tab window

iscanut2 11:52 27 Jul 05

Unless I am missing something, clicking on properties and then the general tab does not show a "read only" tick box on my system. Does this only show if the read only attribute has been set ?

uisquebeathus 14:22 27 Jul 05

there must have been some software such as Roxio or Nero's InCd, which formats the cd in a way that allows you to save data to the cd almost like a floppy or harddrive, if that is not installed you cant do it.

ade.h 16:10 27 Jul 05

When you use Win XP's built-in CD writing to burn files to a CD-RW it applies the read-only attribute to those files. Once they are copied to hard-disk again, they will regain editablt status. You'll find that the CD's properties (and those of the files therein) are not changeable. This situation does not necessarily apply to every OS and/or every burning software.

ade.h 16:12 27 Jul 05

PS - even if you are using the Highmat CD support update for Win XP which allows packet-writing as per Nero In-CD, the read-only issue will still occur.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…