Reactivation of XP after upgrade?????

daz246 12:32 18 Sep 03

Im planning on upgrading my memory with another 256MB and installing a line in video card so I can edit my video camera stuff on my pc. After installing all this will I be required to reactivate XP home???

Thanks

darren

Jester2K II 12:33 18 Sep 03

Yes.

Chances are you'll have to ring MS. Explain whats happened and according to people here they'll give you a new code. You might not even have to ring them at all!!

Jester2K II 12:34 18 Sep 03

Ignore that.

Sorry after just a stick of RAM and a Video Card PROBABLY not.

However if there was any more in future then chances are you'll have to ring MS. Explain whats happened and according to people here they'll give you a new code. You might not even have to ring them at all!!

daz246 12:41 18 Sep 03

Cheers thanks for that, but will I require the cd when I reactivate it? As my Dad is doing the same and he bought his PC with XP pre installed and he never got any kind of cd with it.

minter 13:49 18 Sep 03

To reactivate XP you do not need your CD installed.

The easiest way is over the internet.

I would have a piece of paper and a pen handy when you check for activation because it will either do it automatically, usual, or it will do one of two things - 1, give you a 50 digit code you need to write down (hence the pen and paper) and then follow the instructions where it will give you a new activation code; or 2, it will ask you to phone MS.

You usually get away with 1 if it does not automatically reactivate.

As usual it is simpler to do than tell. Just take you time.

minter 13:58 18 Sep 03

Sorry, missed this - I would advise you not to reactivate straight away.

Make sure that you have everything up and running first. Leave it for a few days. I know the little reminder is a nuisance, but it does save some hassle.

I had a major problem and reformatted several times, each time I reactivated XP. Trouble was that after about six goes it kicked my reactivation into touch - hence my knowing about the 50 digit code (I also did not know that I would need to have a pen and paper handy).

-pops- 13:59 18 Sep 03

I made loads of additions to a number of machines running XP and never had to reactivate.

I think the problem may arise if you make a lot of additions in a very short time but, to my mind, one PCI card and a stick of memory wouldn't constitue ar large change.

Even if you do have to reactivate, I understand that M$ are very helpful and it is rare for them to refuse.

PSF 14:17 18 Sep 03

click here

For more information about activating windows.

SEASHANTY 15:19 18 Sep 03

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…