reactivating Winxp after resizing partitions

DiscMan 21:42 11 Jun 03

I have backed up all my partitions on my primary disc with the demo version of power quest drive image 7. I want to resize the partitions on my primary drive but have already done this twice as I did not realise that Winxp needed a lot of space. I started with 2GB primary partition, which has since been resized to 4Gb, but Winxp seems to need more. In both cases I did a fresh install. Hence now using drive image 7. My question is will I have to reactivate again? The back up copy on this occasion is already activated and I’m not changing any hardware, just resizing using Dos as I don’t have partition magic. Has anyone resize and restored from a backup without reactivating Winxp and can anyone recommend the disc space Winxp is most happy with?

Thanks!

eccomputers 22:47 11 Jun 03

if it does need reactivating dont panic. Just do it over the internet and it will go through. Im certain you get three chances before having to call the dreaded MS

Djohn 22:59 11 Jun 03

Once you have booted your PC, log onto the net, then click on your "Activate" Icon. It will do it for you. If there is a problem, phone the number given and it is all done without speaking to anyone.

Just a matter of keying in numbers on your phone and following the voice instructions that are given, with an activation code to key into your PC. quite painless, but remember to have a pen and paper at hand as you will have a very long code number to write down. If I remember correctly, it's given in blocks of 5 at a time.

jospar 23:04 11 Jun 03

You can always try the installion disk, that came with the hard drive, I know that seagate and maxtor give you the option to copy the old hard drive to the new one. If you haven't got a copy try the hard drive relavent site, should be able to down load a copy from there and get advice concerning what you want to do.

But if you have to reactivate over the phone, I've done this a couple of times, found it not to be to bad, only ever had to speak to customers servie once, and found them to be polite and very helpful.

User-312386 23:08 11 Jun 03

even if you do have re-activate with a new ID number, just phone the number that is given and M$ will give you a new ID

I re-formatted HDD 3 days ago and M$ were brilliant on the phone

User-312386 23:08 11 Jun 03

even if you do have to re-activate with a new ID number, just phone the number that is given and M$ will give you a new ID

I re-formatted HDD 3 days ago and M$ were brilliant on the phone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…