Reactivate Windows XP

ArcAngel67 16:44 15 Feb 09

We bought my son a PC last year that had Windows XP already installed, it came with no key and no back-up disc (it was a home-made PC).

Now we are being told at start up that we must reactivate Windows. I have since bought a new XP disc (with key) but can't seem to get the PC to boot from disc. It opens straight into Windows with the message to reactivate. What can I do?

Technotiger 16:52 15 Feb 09

You could try going into the BIOS and reset the order of boot, to boot from CDROM First.

If that did not work you could try again in Safe mode - repeatedly pressing F8 on start-up.

ArcAngel67 16:56 15 Feb 09

Sorry, I'm a bit new to this, how do I get to BIOS?

Technotiger 17:03 15 Feb 09

During start-up Press Delete key, this will display the BIOS menu. Have a read of the first 'page' and it will explain clearly how to Navigate through the BIOS, and how to make alterations. It is much simpler than people imagine.

User-1229748 17:05 15 Feb 09

when you boot up it normally tells you which key to press to enter setup,it normally flashes quickly.

User-1229748 17:06 15 Feb 09

must learn to type quicker :o(

ArcAngel67 17:11 15 Feb 09

So far so good - I think I've managed to sort it in safe mode. It is currently deleting the original information on the partition in readiness to copy files from CD.

Many thanks for your posts, hopefully I can mark this as resolved in a mo

Technotiger 17:15 15 Feb 09

Grreat, good luck.

laurie53 20:22 15 Feb 09

Altering the BIOS?

Oh dear! That's how I started. Last year ended up building my own PC.

You may be about to embark on a very time consuming and expensive hobby!

birdface 20:34 15 Feb 09

As you bought it with Xp already installed it must have been legit for you to get all the Microsoft updates.If you had run SIW it would have told you the keycode that was used.
Look under secrets and see what it shows.
click here SIW you want free version.

birdface 20:50 15 Feb 09

Someone else with the same problem with a legit copy of XP.
click here
now this can also be caused by a Virus.But probably to late to save you.
I don't know what Microsoft are playing at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…