re-write on rewritable CD-RW?

QUADDRA 12:45 25 Jul 06

Hi,

So this is probably a simple problem but I don’t seem to be able to work it out.
I have a number of CD-Rws with music on them. My doughter wants to save some photos to a portable disk so I thought I could use these re-writable disks. I tried to erase / delete / format, write over the disks but it would not let me. The same message that the media is read only. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

FelixTCat 12:50 25 Jul 06

You don't say how you tried to erase the disks. To do so you have to go into your CD writing program and find the option to erase rewritable disks.

You are normally given the option of quick erase or full erase. Usually, the quick erase works well and only takes a couple of minutes.

Regards,

Felix

Giggle n' Bits 12:52 25 Jul 06

Nero or Roxio

QUADDRA 12:56 25 Jul 06

Hi FelixTCat,
Thanks for the quick response.
The disks were written directly from itunes, I’ve tried using itunes to delete or even write over the top of the existing but it don’t want to know.

QUADDRA 13:03 25 Jul 06

Hi Big Byte,

I used itunes to make the disk.
I have Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD supplied pre installed on a Mesh PC but it has stopped working and is asking for the installation disk that wasn’t supplied with the machine so I am waiting on a response from Mesh to see how to get it working again.

FelixTCat 14:49 25 Jul 06

Quaddra,

You could try downloading a trial version of Nero here click here and using it to erase the disk(s).

You could also try Microsoft's solution; see click here

Regards,

Felix

QUADDRA 16:55 25 Jul 06

Just found out a simple way to erase the contents of a cd-rw
how:-
Open windows Media player, most of us have it.
Click the burn tab
On the right window you will see a list of cd contents
Just above this window are 4 buttons
The last one on the right looks like a pencil eraser?, click it and all contents are erased.
All looks good but now every time I try to save something on it, it says write protected replace the disk.
Next question how do you turn off the write protection?

Fellsider 17:37 25 Jul 06

Looks like it needs to be re-formatted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 25 Jul 06

When creating a CD-R(write once) or a CD-RW (rewritable), there is a function called Session(at least that's what the Adaptec CD software calls it). If you want to write to a CD-R or CD-RW again (called creating a multi-session), you must leave the Session Open. If you close a Session, you can't write again to a CD-R.

If you close a Session on a CD-RW, you have to reformat the CD-RW, if you want to reuse it.

All you have done is erase the files on the disk.
you will need to format the disc with Nero INCD

try this first
If you are using Windos XP right click on the dirve with the CD-rw. In the menu that appears you should see a entry called "Erase this CD-RW". That will clear the data of the CD-rw and you can use the CD like a blank one.

Free CD Burners
CD Burning :-
Burn4 free click here
Deepburner click here
CDBurnerXP click here
Burners click here

Smiler 18:03 25 Jul 06

If QUADDRA formats using INCD he will only be able to use a packet writing program to use the cd again.
He needs to use a program such as Nero to do a full erase of the disc.

QUADDRA 20:38 25 Jul 06

Hi, Still having problems, tried a number of the above programs but still the same message :-
Error copying file or folder
Cannot copy ******** The disk is write protected.
Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…