Re Use of Routers

woodchip 18:29 24 Sep 13
Answered

I have at the moment a 3Com router works well though it is the old G router.

TalkTalk are sending me a new router as it says on there site when I logged into my account that I was not getting the best from my old router, offered new free wireless router presume this will be a n router. I have upgraded my service Half Price for 6 months with them to the Free recording box that connects to there service use the rewind function etc, the box as to be connected by Ethernet to the router. "PROBLEM" it is upstairs near one of my Desktops, it also gives better wireless signal to rest of house with it being high up.

Question can two routers be connected to the same phone line so I can put the New one near to TV downstairs? or would I have to switch one off when not using it, so other would work.

lotvic 20:20 24 Sep 13

I don't know about the 2nd router thingy, but I have my Talktalk YouView HUAWEI DN370T Free recording box connected with an ethernet cable to a TP-Link Homeplug. I already had the homeplugs - didn't get them from talktalk (and homeplug's in an ext lead as well) - still works ok

woodchip 20:53 24 Sep 13

I have a TP-Link Extender, he said I may be able to connect using that, as it as a Ethernet port on the back, But thought it was just to set it up with the router. HomePlugs are £35 from them

cream. 20:54 24 Sep 13

"Question can two routers be connected to the same phone line so I can put the New one near to TV downstairs? or would I have to switch one off when not using it, so other would work."

You would have to have one switched off at all times. You could try a range extender upstairs or your best bet would to connect the upstairs router to an ethernet homeplug.

That way you use the router upstairs and connect a ethernet cable to the plug. Downstairs you run an ethernet cable from the downstairs plug to the recorder.

lotvic 22:25 24 Sep 13
Answer

Homeplug set up. There isn't anything to do other than connect the ethernet cable to the homeplug. That's it. No router configuring.

There is the talktalk PIN they sent you for on screen purchases to put in when you get screen prompt as part of the box setup.

The YouView gets the main tv freeview channels from your rooftop aerial and catchuptv via Talktalk internet. Very easy to use, as both are part of the tv guide and you just click on the program to watch.

woodchip 22:59 24 Sep 13

Thank's for the above will see how it goes when I get the Box

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…