Re-sizing photo file sizes for web site

diamondlil 18:33 10 Jun 08

I'm having my first website designed but uploading the images is down to me. I have images of the things I stock on CD roms from my suppliers but the file sizes are too large to use 500KB plus. Is there a way to change these file sizes or do I have to take photographs myself in a smaller size.

Thanks for any advice.

brundle 18:34 10 Jun 08

Copy them to your HD, batch resize them with Irfanview click here

anchor 10:38 12 Jun 08

This claims to be a free simple batch re-sizer for jpg`s.

click here

Kemistri 15:23 12 Jun 08

I'd be interested to know why your website designer is leaving the image uploads to you, unless he has put a CMS into place. I wouldn't dream of leaving a client to do something that is not their responsibility.

diamondlil 12:26 13 Jun 08

Thanks for the quick responses. Going to try your suggestions and see what happens.

Kemistri - the website design package is a "self-build" idea and imagage resizing/uploads They were available as an "extra". I thought I could manage it myself but I'll have to wait and see. By the way, what is CMS?!

Thanks again all.

Kemistri 15:26 13 Jun 08

Content Management System. It's what we designers sometimes put in place to allow clients to update content without touching (and potentially messing up) the technical markup.

Arnie 16:59 13 Jun 08

This may be of use to you.

I use it for compressing pictures to be sent by e-mail.

click here

Arnie 17:02 13 Jun 08

"for compressing"

Sorry. For resizing.

Kemistri 20:47 13 Jun 08

The Image Resizer is unsuitable for use in website content management because it does not provide any control over JPEG compression. This is a variable that should always be optimised for web use and has to be carefully controlled for best results. Images that are intended for use in websites should be managed by a proper image editor such as the GIMP, Paint.net, PSP, PhotoImpact, Photoshop, etc.

woodchip 22:44 13 Jun 08

Most Images on the Net Use Gif format click here

Kemistri 22:58 13 Jun 08

"Most Images on the net use Gif format"

What makes you think that, woodchip? Anything that needs a large palette will be a JPEG (obviously) and it is increasingly commonplace to see anything graphical rendered in PNG now that it is properly supported across platforms. I stopped using GIFs in my projects quite some time ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…