Re reinstall of 98SE

Gugs 20:58 02 Jul 03

Following your collective advice I managed to reinstall my OS 'over' existing set-up.
Not happy with end result. New OS would not accept my GoBack; ( PC advises - "signature exists on disc - unable instal") Then PC would not always boot-up, sometimes requesting 'startup' floppy and needing reboot to get going.
So I started reinstall again.
fdisk advises that Primary DOS partition etc already exist so I go on to format which gets as far as :-
Checking existing disc format
Recording current bad clusters
15 percent completed
Insufficient Memory
and there we stick.
Any ideas please?
Gugs

johnem 21:13 02 Jul 03

I recall having something similar about 18 months ago, eventually tracked it down to overheating CPU, fan had fallen off!! But puter man also had to repalce hard drive, because it would not allow install of 98SE. I don't know if the two cures were a despration measure or not. I'm sure there will be some more usefull advice.

woodchip 21:21 02 Jul 03

Start with Win98 floppy, at A:\> type scandisk and do a full scan, then format C: after a reboot

woodchip 21:22 02 Jul 03

The HD may be on the way out the door

Gugs 12:31 03 Jul 03

Tried woodchips suggestion x scandisk refuses to go beyond 15 percent - FAT data error x looks like fears re health HDD justified.
Thanks both.

woodchip 13:43 03 Jul 03

Then try this start with Floppy and type FDISK/MBR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…