re- register windows xp sp2 home edition

breadwinner 18:02 07 May 05

since getting my new computer and installing xp home sp2. I registered within the 30 days. since then I have loaded all my software and programs and twice windows has asked me to re-register within 3 days because of the added programs etc. Why does it keep asking me to do this and can I overcome it.

mattyc_92 18:04 07 May 05

It only does that if you keep changing your HARDWARE, not software....

I would be tempted to contact Microsoft on that as I don't think this is normal...

Completealias 18:09 07 May 05

yes I believe that you need only re-register xp after a major hardware change

justme 18:44 07 May 05

Are you sure it is XP that it is wanting you to register and not some of the new software you have installed?

breadwinner 21:12 09 May 05

Thank you for you replys. you could be right in that the supplier had to change the graphics card which was'nt compatable, and the first time may have been after that, and perhaps the second time was after I fitted a modem. I will keep an eye and see how it goes.

GRFT 08:26 10 May 05

Are you sure you don't mean "Re-activation"? Registration isn't mandatory, but after certain hardware changes you'll be asked to re-activate your copy of XP. What happens when you try to do this?

timeteam2004 08:33 10 May 05

Go to start run and type in the following.
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
If windows is activated it will tell you.

timeteam2004 09:20 10 May 05

If Windows is deactivated do the following to re-activate. Use your ORIGINAL key though.The steps below were published on Microsoft's own web site.

Click Start > Run > and type in Regedit Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows Click OK and close regedit Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.DO NOT CALL THEM. Click Change Product Key (at the bottom). Enter your valid Product Key. Press Update and close the window. If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later Restart your computer Verify the change
After the workstation restarts, click Start > Run Type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" without the quotes. Make sure the dialog box says 'your copy of windows is already activated'

Chegs ® 09:29 10 May 05

There are numerous references to folk used SP-2 update and found their XP requesting reactivation online(google)The suggested fixes included the "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" posted above.

There is also this...

CHANGE THE KEY YOURSELF
Click Start > Run > and type in Regedit Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows Click OK and close regedit Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.DO NOT CALL THEM. Click Change Product Key (at the bottom). Enter your valid Product Key. Press Update and close the window. If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later Restart your computer Verify the change
After the workstation restarts, click Start > Run Type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" without the quotes. Make sure the dialog box says 'your copy of windows is already activated'

Chegs ® 09:44 10 May 05

Presumably your on ADSL,as by the time this modem gets to the info pages you've already been,copied/pasted and departed. :-)

timeteam2004 10:43 10 May 05

On 3MB cable. Too fast for my own good I think. But downloading is a pleasure not a chore anymore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…