re-pioneerdvd107d writer stalls with movies

donatello 19:58 14 Jun 04

posted message yesterday about dvds stuttering and stalling on this player tried old dvd sony player still same problem run direct x and found spinning box in test draw has same problem .tried defrag ,closing all other apps and sceensavers

Totally-braindead 20:35 14 Jun 04

I'm away to see if I can find any more on this problem you're having, as I said yesterday a mate of mine has the same DVD and its no problem. Since you said you've tried another DVD and its the same the only things left are Direct X, try installing the latest version or your dvd software , what make/version of dvd player software are you using?

jimv7 20:48 14 Jun 04

Try a different graphic card.

donatello 21:59 14 Jun 04

direct-x is version 9, using win dvd4se player and pinnacle 8 cd/dvd software

Totally-braindead 22:12 14 Jun 04

Reason I said trying to reinstall Direct X first mate is you mention that there is a problem with the spinning box in direct draw. I've just tried it on mine and it works perfectly (I've got a FX5900XT). If reinstalling Direct X(version 9b is the latest) then try updating your graphics card drivers and try running the test again. You've got a FX5600 if I remember rightly and there is no reason it shouldn't be capable of running DVDs with no glitches and your computer is more than fast enough. Regarding WinDVD I got it with my DVD player and don't like it I use Power DVD XP instead, I'm not saying that this is the problem I just found Power DVD easier to use.

Totally-braindead 22:15 14 Jun 04

Heres a link to the Power DVD homepage for a free download. click here it only lasts for 30 days and has a 30 minute time limit on it, but if you try the above advice and it doesn't work then it would at least let you see if it was the software player or something else.

donatello 23:29 14 Jun 04

downloaded power dvd player reinstalled direct-x9b updated graphics drivers problem still exists getting fed up now but cheers for all your help so far

Newuser4165 23:31 14 Jun 04

Check the DMA setting for the IDE channel for the drive.Win XP has a habit of dropping into PIO mode once it detects 6 or more read errors and stays in PIO mode until reset.
I reset it by uninstalling the ide controller and then rebooting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…