Re-partitioning a Hard Drive

GRFT 12:03 24 Apr 04

What's the safest way to repartition a hard drive without disturbing the present installation?

User-312386 12:05 24 Apr 04

partition magic click here

Diodorus Siculus 12:05 24 Apr 04

Using PArtition Magic 8 (£35 or so) - or Ranish Partition Manager (free).

Either way, be sure you have a backup.

GRFT 07:31 25 Apr 04

Thank you.

Dan the Confused 07:39 25 Apr 04

Yep, use Partition Magic. I swapped the size of my C and D drives with no problem at all - very good software.

Doogie Howser 08:18 25 Apr 04

Yep, Partition Magic 8.0 is spot on.

OU812 23:22 25 Apr 04

I use partition magic 8 and it is good software. Just one thing to be aware of is if you use Goback (which normally comes bundled with Norton Utilities)you will have to uninstall it to use Partition Magic. In which case you will also discover that you can read SMART data from your Hard Disk (which GOBack prevents) and is the reason I haven't reinstalled it.

Just be aware that while the programme interface is in Windows, most of the work is done in DOS so the programme will normally need to restart your PC to do its work (which can take some time).

Finally with respect to partitioning if I can pass on a tip. Its a good idea to re label your DVD ROM and CD/DVD rewriters say as Y and Z in order to prevent any partitions on your HD been labeled in a non concurrent fashion which can happen otherwise.

GRFT 07:43 26 Apr 04

Thanks, OU812, especially for the last paragraph.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…