Re ordering CD drives

mac_gyver 10:36 08 Nov 04

I have got one hard drive and two CD/DVD drives. On one IDE cable I have the hard drive (set as master) and then on the other cable I have the two CD drives (one as slave, one as master). At the moment the drives are being assigned the following letters:
Harddrive - C: (this is what I want)
CD drive (master) - E:
CD drive (slave) - D:

I basically want to swap the letters of the two CD drives over.

Thanks for your help

Mac

Graham ® 10:46 08 Nov 04

Assuming XP, Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management, right click on a drive. You will have to re-name one to a spare letter first to make its letter free.

mac_gyver 10:50 08 Nov 04

I am using Windows 2k pro. The XP method works here as well.

Thanks for your help

alan227 10:51 08 Nov 04

You do not say what your operating system is.
If it is XP, right click My computer / left click Manage / Left click Disk Management / Right click the drive to change letter on / Left click Change drive letters and paths ( change the first one to Z as this will free up the letter for the other drive.
Next repeat the sequence for the other drive then go back to the first drive that you renamed Z and alter it to the drive letter required.

By altering these drive letters you could affect any installs you have done of these drives as if it runs of a CD it will not be able to find the path.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…