//some 3rd party need geo

RE: NEW HARD DRIVE

nobs 15:11 20 Oct 04

Hi,

have purchased a new 250gb ide hard drive. i need to format it so that Win XP sp2 can see it. it will be installed in a USB external case. i am currently running XP3200+ 1GB DDR PC3200 & 2 SATA 120Gb hard disk.
i believe you uses fdisk ??? if so how
my friend normally does this for me, however he is in america for 2 weeks.

thanks

Caså 15:19 20 Oct 04

When connected,go to disk manager (right clk my comp) & partition & format from there.Much easier than fdisk.

nobs 15:22 20 Oct 04

casa

it is connected now but Xp cant see it & disk manager is not an option when right clk on my comp???

am i missing something

?

JonnyTub 15:25 20 Oct 04

try changing your jumper setting to cable select

JonnyTub 15:27 20 Oct 04

also you need to create DOS partition on the hard drive by run "FDISK", after run "FDISK", it will show as a new drive (as "drive:letter:") in "My computer". After "FDISK" you need to "Format" the new drive that newly appears in "My Computer", then the USB hard drive will be fully functional.

nobs 15:30 20 Oct 04

how do you get to fdisk in winxp?? from there i think i will be ok

if i remember win 98 was reboot to command prompt and fdisk

????

Diodorus Siculus 15:30 20 Oct 04

There can be problems using fdisk on XP machines; as suggested, try diskmanagement

when you right click on "my computer" you may see "manage" - clicking on that should give the option for disk management.

Caså 15:31 20 Oct 04

Not sure I follow you.Have you ...Right clk my computer....clk on manage... disk manager.Should be there at lower end of box.If not it's not installed yet.

JonnyTub 15:34 20 Oct 04

I'm old school when it comes to fdisk and format :-)

Diodorus Siculus 15:36 20 Oct 04

JonnyTub - me too and I usually point people to click here

But with XP it seems that there is a better way...

nobs 15:41 20 Oct 04

thanks

will try this later

will let oyou know the outcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…