Re-Intalling Software

adam_huxtable 21:18 24 Mar 05

First question what is the best operating system for speed?

What is the best version of Jasc Photoshop 7, 8 or 9?

What is the best web browser?

chub_tor 21:49 24 Mar 05

Everyone will have a different answer for these pieces of software. Personally I have Windows XP with all its updates, for paint programmes I like Serif PhotoPlus 9 - it has a great extract facility and for internet browsing I use the latest version of Firefox.

Night Ryder 21:53 24 Mar 05

Of all the systems I've used over the years, "Windows XP" has been the most stable.
I've been using "Windows XP" Professional for some time now. It will tolerate all kinds of abuse and bounce back as new. (Very important factor with any system. Install plenty memory. I have 1Gig installed).

I use "Jasc Photoshop 7" and find it will do everything I want.

Have tried all different web browsers and have found "Inernet explorer" to be the best. (A little prone to pop ups however. Use a good pop up blocker).

EdFrench 22:40 24 Mar 05

JASC is Paint shop Pro 7
Photoshop 7 is Adobe

VoG II 22:45 24 Mar 05

1) Strewth click here

2) Pass

3) Firefox click here

EdFrench 23:13 24 Mar 05

I think this post calls for a short discourse on the perceived merits or pitfalls of software in general.

Ok, bare with me a moment while I gather my thoughts.
Right.
Operating systems:
Microsoft or Open Source? (Open Source no longer exclusively means free)
Windows XP Pro is an old OS which has evolved from the earlier offerings of MS such as Win 3.1 Win 3.11 et al. It fell foul of rushed production and bad implementation on the way to where it is now. (Think of ME) Right now Windows XP pro is reasonably stable though not code efficient. One of the major problems it has to face is badly written third party applications. (If you let XP run alone on a pc it will never fall over)
It does have a huge footprint and this (along with the fact that most MS software Apps. invade the core of the engine and in doing so, cause major problems)is the main gripe from open source advocates.
Use it if you like it.

Browsers:
The best browser? Do we mean the prettiest? the fastest? the most secure?

Iexplorer 6 has come in for a lot of flak about its use of the non standard Active X features, and rightly so, it is a major security blunder by MS.
The world and his dog have taken cracks at the browser and so the publicity has been great. 95% of the browser market means 95% of the worlds hackers, crackers, phishers etc. are going to be gunning for you.
Firefox has just begun this journey (Increasing in popularity rapidly) with security patches out two months in a row. (1.0.2 is available from today and it is no more than a security patch)
The cracker and hackers will just love a new challenge, a new target. Will Mozilla come in for the same flak in a years time?

So, whatever software or Operating System you choose to use, make the overiding criteria for selection answer one question:
What do I want to do with it?
If it does it, use it. Once all that has been answered, just pick a pretty one.

woodchip 23:33 24 Mar 05

Well as above I use none standard stuff.

I have Win98se that I use all the Time it's fast it will start and shut down while XP is thinking about it.

I have a XP Desktop

A XP Laptop but as above viruses do like the most popular OS

For Writing I use WordPerfect8 does every thing I want

Netscape7 and 8 are my browsers

I have Jasc Anniversary edition but do not use it,
I use my trusted Micrografx Picture Publisher 8 now owned by Coral

EdFrench 23:37 24 Mar 05

BTW. I use:

WinXP pro SP2

Jasc PSP 8 AND Adobe photoshop 7

Firefox

Thunderbird

Four Spyware apps

Independent firewall

Virus software

Mailwasher pro

(Forgot to answer your question)

adam_huxtable 23:45 24 Mar 05

Thanks alot, You have all helped i've decided to go for XP, PaintShop Pro 9, an i' gona use internet explorer.

Once again thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant