re-instillation of windows

lowky 10:31 28 Sep 08

I have just re-installed windows xp on my desktop pc and have encountered a few problems.

1) Even though both of my laptops can still connect to my router (through Ethernet cable not wireless) I can’t seem to get my desktop pc to talk to the internet/router. I think I have to create a network or something in the settings but I’m not sure exactly what to do.

2) I know that I need my ip address and also possibly the address of my net gear router but I don’t know where to input these or which one goes where ? When I type run and ipconfig the small screen appears displaying this info but then disappears immediately before I can write down the information.

3) Even though it seems like I could re-install windows on the desktop with no problems other than the expected hassle of connecting to the internet I also noticed that the amount of free space on the hard drive is only 2 gig when it should be much higher.

Any of you guys in the know who would care to help me out I would be really gratefull.

Tony

MAJ 10:58 28 Sep 08

1. Chances are taht you don't have the correct workgroup set.

2. Type CMD into the Run box, and click OK. Then Type Ipconfig /all into the command box.

3. How old is the desktop?

lowky 11:02 28 Sep 08

my laptop is about 6 years old. I'm trying to find out my ip address by typing ipconfig in the run command bit but the screen dissappears as soon as i hit return.

ventanas 11:07 28 Sep 08

Check your file system, probably Fat32. Change to NTFS to get the rest of the disc back
click here

MAJ 11:08 28 Sep 08

If the laptop is running XP, then see my answer #2. If not running XP, which OS is it running?

lowky 11:12 28 Sep 08

sorry sorry. the laptop is brand new but its the desktop which is 6 years old. its the laptop that won't let me find my ip address. I'm not sure whether i need to put the router's address or my ip address in the lan settings area. my laptop connectsjust fine but my desktop is giving me the page cannot be displayed message.

lowky 11:45 28 Sep 08

so i now have my ipaddress thanks to whatismyipaddress.com but don't know if i need to input this/set up a lan etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…