Re-installing XP+SP3 with faulty CD drive, DVD OK

compumac 15:32 31 Jan 09

My laptop Disc drive will sometimes not see CD's but will read DVD's consistently OK. I need to completely reinstall XP. I have an XP CD that contains SP3 that I have used to reformat my other PC's (ALL WITH GENUINE SERIAL NUMBERS) but as the laptop falters using the XP CD I would prefer to use a DVD. Any advice?

tullie 15:48 31 Jan 09

Have you tried booting from cd?

MAJ 16:04 31 Jan 09

What you could do, compumac, is copy the CD's contents to a folder on your hard drive then using Imgburn click here create an image from those files and, again using Imgburn, burn that image to DVD. That should let your laptop boot from the DVD and install XP SP3 from that DVD.

1. When you have the contents of the CD in the new folder, open Imgburn and choose the "Create image from files/folders" option.

2. When that has finished, choose the "Write image file to disk" option, insert the DVD and burn.

3. Boot from the newly created DVD.

Imgburn does have an option to create an image from disk, but as your CD reading capabilities are a little suspect, that might not be the best option to choose, that's why I suggested the "Create image from files/folders" option, even though it will take a little longer to do.

sidecar sid 16:04 31 Jan 09

Copy your CD to DVD and use that.

compumac 19:14 31 Jan 09

tullie
Cannot boot up from drive using CD

Maj
Fllowed your advice but resulting DVD did not turn out as a bootable device and therefore I am unable to use it to install to laptop, albeit the installation process using that DVD can be accessed using another PC.

I should add that I have an external CD/DVD drive that I have been using to install programmes to the laptop but this cannot be seen at bootup being a USB drive. In CMOS the only boot options are hard Disc C, CD Rom drive, Diskette A and Lan.
I have an external USB Diskette drive but using that only enables A to be seen.

Any further advice out there?

DieSse 19:20 31 Jan 09

"Any further advice out there?"

I suggest you fix the basic problem with your drive first - then you'll be able to get on with everything else without continuous messing around.

brundle 19:24 31 Jan 09

Use ImgBurn to make an image of the CD, burn that image directly back to DVD. No need to extract the files, and the boot information remains intact.

compumac 19:57 31 Jan 09

DieSse
Cannot afford the expense of new drive

brundle
Never used ImgBurn before prior to this evening. Can you briefly explain procedure?

compumac 20:18 31 Jan 09

brundle
Bingo. Followed your advice now bootable DVD and I will be winging my way to reinstalling XP +SP3 tomorrow. I have had a bad day today, nothing i was doing fitted into place and trying to sort out this problem was only adding to the other headaches of the day.

Thanks for help all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…