Re-installing XP too often? Well not yet!

Diemmess 17:11 02 Aug 04

No, I haven't even installed XP for the first time!

But if/when that day comes I would like a life saver which one of the sages in this forum mentioned.

It is not a code cracker, it is merely a file saved from a running version of XP which provided there has been no changes in hardware, matches the re-installation with its licence and allows the computer to run.

It (from memory) is used to overwrite the existing file in the umpteenth installation. I shall keep it with the rest of many hints from this place that I store safe against the day!

The name of this file please, anyone?

dth 17:18 02 Aug 04

It isn't a problem - I've wiped my h/d and re-installed Windows XP about 20 times over
the last 2 years. You just re-activate XP.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:50 02 Aug 04

'I've wiped my h/d and re-installed Windows XP about 20 times over the last 2 years'...OK, I'll be the first to ask.....why?

G

Diemmess 17:59 02 Aug 04

Two great minds clearly think alike!

Just hedging my bets against the time when the vital piece of info cannot be found.

Yes I know XP is much better ..etc etc.. etc.. and here am I managing with W98SE mainly because I can depend on it for most things and a wobbly occasionally.

First Ghost and more recently HyperOs, keep things nicely and re-installation is for family and friends these days, but you never know!!

leo49 18:06 02 Aug 04

Never had to do it myself but I noted that when this came up in the past that copying the wpa.dbl file from the WINDOWS\system32 folder is supposed to work.

Chegs ® 19:02 02 Aug 04

I was advised to create a copy of the wpa.dbl file(I now have)to avoid the situation I'm presently in.My hdd's failed within a week of each other,before they expired I was having to reinstall XP Home upto 3x a day,as these drives were very unreliable(that was caused by their imminent failure)in the preceeding weeks.When I installed XP Home for approx 10th time(inside 30 days)I couldn't activate it over the net,I have to phone M$ to activate it(a painless exercise normally,but I have no phone,only ADSL)within 30 days of installation.I haven't tried to see what the maximum number of times I can activate it over the phone(yet)and am unlikely to ever need to find this out,as my new hdd's are here/installed and working(better than their predessors ever did) :-)

stalion 19:07 02 Aug 04

if I had to re-install 20 times in two years i'd buy a mac

Diemmess 20:11 02 Aug 04

You had the very filename I wanted.

In my ignorant but enthusiastic days, I installed Win 3.1.1, 95,and 98 ..........far too many times because I didn't understand termination of daisy chained SCSI. I needed my scanner quite often, and to use it was to invite yet another o/s collapse.

OK things are better now, but I like the idea of having more than one "fire extinguisher" to hand.

Diemmess 20:16 02 Aug 04

The same naughty thought had crossed my mind.......... but I was seeking help not confrontation. In my last posting I had to confess I was in a re-installation loop until I heard about "scanreg /restore".

stalion 20:18 02 Aug 04

was meant to be humerous no offence intended.Regards

Diemmess 21:00 02 Aug 04

I didn't take it personally and I hope GANDALF <|:-)> wouldn't either. He's "big" enough and usually has good advice on most problems. My comment about not seeking confrontation was meant to be humourous, like yours about switching to a mac.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…