Re-installing XP on a SATA equiped laptop?

gazzaho 17:33 10 Jun 08

I own a Toshiba Satellite P100-188 notebook with XP media center 2005 installed and as far as I know it has an 80GB Sata hard drive. Now, so far(touch wood) I've never had to re-install windows, but in the event that sometime in the future I have to do so, I have a recovery disk and a drivers disk, the latter I created when I purchased the notebook, and I'm pretty sure of how to go about the re-installation if Windows becomes unstable.

The area I'm not so sure about is the SATA driver issue when installing windows manually if I have to replace the hard drive. As far as I can figure out from reading posts on the Internet I would need either a USB Floppy drive or a slipstreamed version of the windows CD with the SATA drivers incorporated, in order to complete a manual installation. As I own neither a USB floppy drive or a Windows CD, the notebook came only with the recovery disk, how would I go about re-installing windows in the eventuality that the hard disk failed?

To be honest I don't know if I would have a problem or not if I had to replace the hard drive, or if the SATA driver installation by floppy disk is necessary at all, as I said I haven't had to use the recovery option yet. I'm just curious to know if there's a way of doing it without a floppy drive or a physical Windows CD rom in order to make a slipstream disk.

Has anyone had to do this with their notebook? Inquiring minds would like to know.

chub_tor 17:51 10 Jun 08

Here's one solution courtesy of Softpedia click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 10 Jun 08

If the recovery disks were made specifically for the machine then as long as first bbot device is set as CD drive then you should be able to reload everything as per the day you made the disks , including all drivers.

gazzaho 22:04 10 Jun 08

Ok guys thanks for answering my post but chub_tor the link you supplied only works if you have a Windows CD rom disk, as I only have a recovery disk this doesn't apply.

Fruit Bat will the recovery disk installation work on a virgin hard disk? Does it work like a slipstreamed Windows CD Rom in that the drivers for the SATA drive are incorporated into the recovery disk?

Manufacturers really bug me with these recovery disks and absolutely no information other than rudimentary as to how to recover from a serious problem with their computers.

The last genuine version of windows I owned, and by that I mean physical Windows disks was Windows 98. My dinosaur desktop PC was another recovery disk version but as it's so old it's easy to re-install having the old ATA version disks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:13 10 Jun 08

will the recovery disk installation work on a virgin hard disk?

Some recovery disks just activate a hidden partition on the original HDD which contains a image of the drive.

Others actually make the image and save to DVD /CD and can therefore be put onto a new drive.

Have a read click here

woodchip 22:19 10 Jun 08

Your best bet is Buy Acronis True Image, and make a Image to a External USB drive, You may also need a USB Floppy to load Sata Drivers first from a Floppy.

The Image would contain, Partition Information, Operating System and all software and everything you have on the drive At the time that you created the image. This would all go back on in one fell swoop after loading sata drivers

woodchip 22:21 10 Jun 08

PS the Image can be loaded onto a new Drive in the same computer, even if its bigger

gazzaho 23:03 10 Jun 08

Fruit Bat I have a sneaky suspicion that a partition is involved, if there is then it would make the recovery procedure useless in the event of a complete hard drive failure unless the recovery works like an original Windows CD Rom does, either way I'm unlikely to find out until it's too late.

Woodchip your suggestion of making a drive backup makes sense but again the SATA drivers become a problem without a floppy drive or slipstream disk.

It's a sad state of affairs when you need obsolete hardware in order to install state of the art equipment. It's like saying you have to trade in a Model T Ford in order to buy a new car!

I guess I'm just going to take the Ostrich view and bury my head in the sand and hope that my hard drive doesn't go belly up, if/when it does go, then I'll assume the headless chicken route. Thanks for your help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos