Re-installing XP on a new PC

jaimie 18:44 26 Jun 06

A couple of weeks ago I asked the question about re-installing XP on a new comp. The scenario is this: I build first M/C about three years ago with OEM copy of XP from my supplier (CCL). All goes well until the Mobo failed a couple of weeks ago, beyond economic repair. I purchase a bare bones system which comes with everything exept the hardrive, I install the old HDD into the new system and of course windows isn't having any of that. Repair consol failed to work so I formatted the drive and re-installed my licenced copy of XP. I activated the copy and registered it with MS and all works fine except it won't use windows update, it tells me there is a problem. I call MS to explain and am told rudly that if I'd read the licence agreement I would know that with OEM copies, windows XP dies with the motherboard and I have to purchase a new copy of XP to get the updates! rip off or what? I can't see why this should be, I bought it, I activated it, I should be able to use it. I can use it as it is but without SP2. What do others think about this?

Jaimie

xania 19:31 26 Jun 06

Sorry, but that's quite correct. OEM is tied to the motherboard - I'm surprised that it even allowed you to activate it.

citadel 19:36 26 Jun 06

I thought everyone knew this, that is why it costs so much less than the retail box.

baldtaco 21:54 26 Jun 06

“I have to purchase a new copy of XP to get the updates! rip off or what?”

Nah, nah, nah amigo. Nuts to that, and to that vile bit of slimeware WGA. [Windows Genuine Advantage – “Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware” - click here or the 17 page zdnet exposure exposure of the filth - click here )

SP2 is pretty much ubiquitous. That shouldn’t present too much of a problem and surely doesn’t require M$ in the mix.

After that you have a few options open to you, but I would recommend raptor’s excellent AutoPatcher fighting out of neowin - click here

Essentially, you ‘must’ use a full update, and then top up with subsequent updates. A good example would be from this mirror - click here .

1] First bag the April full. Installing that on the first loop is really an unzipping to a folder thing that gives you desktop shortcuts and whatnot. Then you really run it. It scans your machine in the way you would expect the conventional update route to do [this is why the download was so large]. I will offer you choices for all the critical updates since SP2 + the recommended + plus all the power toys.

2] Leaving the April full where it is get the May update. Install this on top of April. The rest will be familiar.

3] Rinse and repeat for June and the impending.

Note: The WGA filth is in the June update, and is set to off by default.

Hope this helps.

DieSse 22:26 26 Jun 06

Read this click here

I beleive that you can do this under the terms of the EULA - and they are being over-officious. It seems from several places that a replacement of a mother board UNDER WARRANTY is allowable under the EULA - and you should contact them again and tell them that what you have done is replaced a board under warranty, under the allowed terms of the EULA and that you can provide proof of the warranty replacement if they wish to see it.

DieSse 22:29 26 Jun 06

PS - if however it is an UPGRADED motherboard, then it is clear that you can't transfer the copt of XP.

Sorry but I misread your time period first time through.

jaimie 18:06 28 Jun 06

Thanks to all who replied, you have given me a lot to think about, I am studying baldtaco's information and will go down that route.

Thanks again everyone and mayby I should look at Linux!

Jaimie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos