Re-installing Windows regularly?

laith 07:53 26 Apr 04

I have an acquaintance in IT who told me that he backs up, formats and re-installs his Windows system every 6 months or so in order to keep it "clean" from accumulating junk. He says he notices a good improvement in speed whenever he does this...

Any comments? Good/useless idea?

I assume one backs up all data and email files, formats hard disk, re-installs Windows, files and programs, run Windows update to get everything up to date again...

Have I missed anything?

961 08:27 26 Apr 04

While I accept that someone "working in IT" may use a pc to the extent that he finds a worthwhile increase in speed from this, for most of us I would suggest it is a pretty unproductive use of our time

Regular defragging of the hard disk with deleting of temporary files and cleaning with Spybot, Adaware etc and the use of a good firewall should keep most computers running just fine in this day of fast processors etc.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:42 26 Apr 04

Maddest thing that I have ever heard. Once every three years or if you are experiencing loads of problems. With spyware removers, registry cleaners and a bit of common sense there is no need to go to such extremes. Your friend has way too much time on his hands. If he is in IT then he should not have the accumualted junk on his PC in the first palce. I would be loathe to employ him.

laith 08:47 26 Apr 04

Yeah. I sort of thought the same things when he was explaining this to me :-)

By junk he wasn't talking about spyware or viruses. I think he was talking about all the miscellaneous (not temporary) files that accumulate everywhere each time you install and de-install things etc.

On the other hand, to me this would just be a hard disk space problem which could be fixed in other ways.

Thanks for the feedback!

Stuartli 09:06 26 Apr 04

There are utilities both built-in to Windows and available as third party versions that will do just what is required.

In all the time I have spent using Windows (from 3.1 to XP Pro) over the last 13-14 years I've only had to reinstall the OS on two occasions.

©®@$? 09:38 26 Apr 04

i agree with the IT man, nothing like a good spring clean..

as for too much time on his hands..about 1-2 hour tops every six months...i can't see that time consuming

and it does make a difference

there are utilities that can clean crud up, but nothing is as good as a format and a clean install...especially if the computer has had allot of installed programs etc

dth 10:21 26 Apr 04

Call me sad but I usually re-install every 6 weeks...

spuds 10:30 26 Apr 04

Like most things, it all depends on the computer usage and who uses the machine. If all the anti this anti that devices are used correctly, then there are no needs for a complete re-install. When I used W95/W98/WME, I never needed to do any re-installs, but since using XP, I have had to have two re-installs, but this was down to faulty components more than anything.

Simsy 10:37 26 Apr 04

But I have a "Drive Image" of a clean installation with all progs freshly installed.

Restoring an image like this takes just a few mins and achieves what is being sought here.

I only do it when I've a problem. All that needs doing after the image is resored is an AV update.

rsturbo 11:03 26 Apr 04

take an image of watever you like and reinstall within 10 mins, pucker!

laith 11:09 26 Apr 04

How do you get a drive image and where do you store it while you're formatting the hard drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…